• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Controll cpu fan from windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Hey,
Is there a program to control the cpu fan from windows, it is on my second rig. I'm just trying to make it quite for a all night download session.

I'm going to under clock it and reduce the fan speed, it is not a stock one it is a copper coolmermaster one that plugs into the motherboard.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: It might also plug into a molex... not sure.
If it matters I'll find out.

Bios24

Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5) and Speedfan are both good. You might look through the software that came with your motherboard also, a lot of newer boards have monitoring software included. (mine can with SilentTek)

OP
Quattro

Quattro

Second rig is using an Abit KT7A-RAID...

Not sure if this has it.

I've got MBM5 already installed on it, I didn't realise I could controll the fan speed from there!
How?

a c i d.f l y

I don't think you can do what you are trying to do.

The only way to slow a fan down is by reducing the voltage flow to the fan.. until there's a hardware mod with software drivers, nothing in Windows will control fan speed.

I suggest any kind of rheostat -- pick it up at your local Radio Shack.

-Frank

magick_man

Forum Magician
plug the cpu fan header into a case fan header and use speed fan to throttle it down.
make sure to turn off any kind of cpu fan protection :)

~Magick_Man~

Bios24

a c i d.f l y said:
I don't think you can do what you are trying to do.

The only way to slow a fan down is by reducing the voltage flow to the fan.. until there's a hardware mod with software drivers, nothing in Windows will control fan speed.

I suggest any kind of rheostat -- pick it up at your local Radio Shack.

-Frank

Actually the software that came with my AOpen board can do just that. It's called SilentTek. I can turn the fans to zero if I wanted it, it can also automatically adjust fan speed with cpu/case temps. Too bad the board only supports 2 fans this way.