• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Controllers for Emulators

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aldakoopa

KING OF PROCRASTINATION Member
I'm not sure if this is being posted in the right section or not, but I am emulating consoles on my computer.

Basically I'm running ePSXe and PCSX2, as well as a less-important SNES emulator, but the main two are the PS1/PS2 emulators. I grew up with the PS1/PS2 through most of my childhood/teens and some of my favorite games were on those consoles. The last console I had before I went PC was a PS2 and I'd occassionally dig it out of the closet to play a few games, alone or with friends/family that I used to play with, just getting our nostalgia on... except there's more beer involved these days. :cheers:

The trouble is my controllers and console are wearing out, and my game disks have suffered from neglect, whether it's scratches or CD rot, and the ones that haven't become completely unreadable and hopeless have skipping audio and sometimes freeze. It's not working out so good anymore, so I learned about emulators. I've known about them for a year or two now, but never really looked into them until this weekend. I got a couple of my favorite games for PS1 working on ePSXe and I'm stoked. :D (I don't believe I've ever used that word before, ever. Ever.) I haven't even flashed the BIOS from my PS2 for PCSX2 yet, but I'll get around to it soon enough. So far the PS1 games look so much better with the plugins available to the emulators, so even if everything isn't perfect, I'm extra happy with the fact that they work and look better than ever! :attn:

But, as can be imagined, using a keyboard to play games intended for console is annoying, if not difficult at times. Plus, I want two-player capability as well. Mostly the games I will be playing are driving/racing games; Gran Turismo 1 through 4, and Twisted Metal 1 through 5 (Black).

First off, I'm still new to emulators so I have no idea if analog functionality is even supported through ePSXe/PCSX2 with Gran Turismo games, but I always told myself that one day I was going to get a steering wheel controller... I never did. Well, now I want one that is analog (I'm kinda assuming they all are due to the nature of driving/racing sims) with steering wheel and pedals, gear shift would be nice but it isn't necessary, and it has to absolutely be compatible with emulated racing games on a PC most likely running Windows, although Linux support would be nice. ;) It looks like all steering wheel controllers are fairly expensive (lowest price I've seen on a sketchy one is ~$40), some more, but I'm wondering if anybody has used this with emulated GT games and what is the best bang/buck.

I may not get a steering wheel just yet, or one at all, but it would be nice.

Otherwise I would just like a couple of analog dual-shock style controllers like I'm used to. The trouble is from reading reviews on most of the ones I can find, not all dual-shock style controllers out there are analog, and not all of them work, or they only work with certain games/emulators and not others... however the Xbox 360 controller for PC seems to have really good reviews for functionality in all scenarios. I'm not sure if it's analog or not though... I would assume so.

If there is a good dual-shock controller that anybody knows of that would definitely work, I would prefer them over an Xbox 360 controller, but I can get used to an Xbox controller if anybody knows if they would definitely work.

Thanks for any advice, I'm hoping somebody here has some experience with emulators and controllers, it would be really helpful before I spend $80 on two Xbox controllers if there's better, and hopefully cheaper, alternatives.

Last edited:
I bought a logitech f310 about 8 years ago for deployments.... it STILL works! It works flawlessly with all the emulators and the logitech programmer works flawlessly. It's really reliable and is pretty much a ps2 controller. It's also cheap :) it works for everything in the playstation realm. Send me a pm if you need help setting this stuff up. Hope you're playing ps2 on the i5, because the 4100 can't handle it very well.

For a steering wheel... those things... you really get what you pay for. Atminside is the racing guy right now, send him a pm, but in general, cheap + high accuracy moving parts = junk. I have some stuff saved on racing wheels, I'll go dig it up for you later.

I got everything set up on the i5 right now. Have you tried PS2 emulation on a 4100 or know somebody trying it? I know Bulldozer was kinda unimpressive but I don't see why it couldn't handle it, unless the "shared" architecture just doesn't play well with the emu at all...

Ps2 emulation actually requires a ton of horsepower. My 8320 @ 4.7 still has some issues with certain games (even with tweaking).

On my 775 chip, ps2 was unplayable. PS1 was "ok".

I see what you're saying now. I got my bios loaded and I'm trying to get Gran Turismo 3 to NOT look like crap and still perform decently. My computer is running out of memory... All 8GB. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN!?! :rofl:

EDIT: Figured out the memory. I only had 1 BILLION TABS open in Google Chrome trying to figure out how to configure PCSX2, pages to download ISOs, etc, and it was hogging all my memory. Chrome, you memory hog. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ps2 emulation actually requires a ton of horsepower. My 8320 @ 4.7 still has some issues with certain games (even with tweaking).

On my 775 chip, ps2 was unplayable. PS1 was "ok".

I used a generic wired ps3 controller(without drivers so it showed up as a generic Windows controller, no dual shock) when I played emulators on my pc. Worked fine with the few games I played for ps2, including analog sticks. I can't see why a wheel would be any different.

My Bluetooth snakebyte controller works on my android tablet very well for the price, and the analog stick works for n64 but I haven't tried ps1 emulation never mind ps2 on a tablet. It's amazing how flexible emulators really are.

Back