• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Converting laserwriter for UK use

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
Hi, guys,

I have an HP P2015d LaserWriter. It's a very nice double-sided printer with a lot of life left in it, and I hate to sell it at a loss and buy a new one if I can avoid it.

I originally toyed with replacing the main ECU with the 220V version (RM1-4274-000CN), which appears to hold the transformer with its 220V equivalent (about $160 in parts from HP), but I'm starting to think that getting a step-down transformer makes more sense.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Any recommended models?

From this, it looks like it draws 7W idle, 350W when printing. I'll try to plug in a kill-a-watt later to confirm this.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/1845551.pdf

OP
macklin01

macklin01

*edit*

By the kill-a-watt:

power-up peaks around 730 to 750 VA, then idles down around 10 VA.

printing a test page peaks around 733 VA, then stays between 450 to 650 VA.

In wattts, peak draw is around 630W, steadies around 500 W, significantly higher than the 350W claimed in the link. Interesting.

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
You're going to need a beefy step down transformer for that... I have one just about big enough, and it's a big and heavy sucker. I would honestly try for the PCB replacement first.

OP
macklin01

macklin01

I think you guys are right. Not worthwhile.

Will sell locally and see what I can get for it. Thanks -- Paul