• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Convince me into switching to Abit...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ducatti

I have a Asus A7N8X dlx rev 2 right now (see sig) and am preparing to order a X800XT and 1 gig of ram. I have been thinking about volt modding my Asus, but have been watching the Abit boards and seem to notice a lot higher FSB's with less modding. Removing any fan boy comments, is it worth me switching? I'm sure that I'll get to 227 MHZ FSB with my new ram, but watching people in here posting at 240+ is making me get the itch. Any thought??

Just see what your new setup will do before spending the cash. Seems like your just looking for an excuse to buy an abit. I like mine but to each his own. If you arn't satisfied with what your current setup with the new toys produces then look elsewhere and buy forself a nice new abit board.

Dre

I think the best thing about having the super-popular NF7-S Rev. 2 is that EVERYONE has it and you have a lot of people out there to help you with all your problems. There probably aren't people like Tictac & Trats that mod hundreds of BIOS's for you guys.....I just think the community is great.

As for the board, it's hit or miss. I had a wall at 220, then found the right modded BIOS, and got to 240. Now it's my chipset holding me back (cuz my old RAM goes well above 240 in P4 systems) so I'm looking into voltmods, and there's a pencil one out there, but I'm not sure if I wanna do it....

Ducatti said:
I have a Asus A7N8X dlx rev 2 right now (see sig) and am preparing to order a X800XT and 1 gig of ram. I have been thinking about volt modding my Asus, but have been watching the Abit boards and seem to notice a lot higher FSB's with less modding. Removing any fan boy comments, is it worth me switching? I'm sure that I'll get to 227 MHZ FSB with my new ram, but watching people in here posting at 240+ is making me get the itch. Any thought??
That is hell a good temp u got there man. I wish I could get that on my SP-97.
But anyway, my NF7 v.2 can run at 227 without any mod.

Tat said:
That is hell a good temp u got there man. I wish I could get that on my SP-97.
But anyway, my NF7 v.2 can run at 227 without any mod.

Thanks, I spent a lot of time cleaning up the case airflow, dremeling out holes... I do keep the house rather cool, so the Dallas summers aren't affecting me. 9 case fans help, buth the SLK-900 just can't be beat... Before I modded the case I was only in the low 40's idle, and never into the 50 range.
I plan on trying out the new ram first, as my PC2700 is just not stable past where it's set right now (which is still pretty good for 166 mhz ram..), but I just know that with the kind of temps I'm getting on this chip I could push it more on air. I think I'll be needing more voltage to get it past 2.7 stable, and that's what I was looking into the Abit board for. Most of the people on my board are not getting out of the 220's, even modded.

I had the asus A7N8X rev2 in my White Hot rig and I tell you I hated it... I haven't changed my sig yet but I've already got the same processor up to 2.5gigs with the new NF7 I bought. If you want better overclocks and higher fsb ditch the asus and step on over to the abit or dfi boards.

Back