• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cool and Useful Websites

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZhengHe

Master List of Cool and Useful Websites

I once did something to this affect before on another site and it seemed to help alot of people so I figure I might as well post the same kind of thing.

Have any cool Websites, list them here.
[/size]

AAA Maps and Directions: good for directions in the US and Canada I believe.

Advanced Anime: Anime art imageboard specifically focused on anime girls.

AIM Ad Hack: Get rid of AIM popups

Altavista: the Google, before the Google, some would say and still and excellent Search Engine as a whole. Especially good for finding audio and video.

Amazon.com: buy new and used books, CDs, DVDs, apparel, electronics, magazine subscriptions, food, tools, and just about anything else you can buy in a store for often a significantly reduced price. A leader and one of the premier online shopping websites on the web.

AnimeDB: one of the classic and frequently reccomended anime sites. Including: anime news, reviews, downloads, ect...

AnimeNfo: yet another one of the classic anime information sites on all aspects of anime.

Anime-Planet: great site to find new anime to watch, it list anime similar to a particular one, provides screenshots, synopsis, reviews, fansubs comparisons, ...

Answers that Work: gives and explanation for everyone program running in your Windows.
Task Manager along with pages on other helpful stuff for your computer.

A-Z Lyrics Universe: get lyrics to just about any song here.

Babelfish: a good translation site.

BadassBuddy: "Buddy Icons that don't suck" (badassbuddy.com).

Bartleby: read great old and classic fiction and nonfiction books online. Also a great resource for research, combining the Columbia and World Book Encyclopedias, Thesauruses, quotations, speeches, poems, books of grammar and language, and more.

Bash: a database of the funniest IM'ing quotes ever!

Black Viper: lots of different Windows tweaks and configuration tips.

Blogger: in general an online diary and easy to use website, kinda like a forum, where you can post your thoughts and interact with others as they post their's, but in truth in can be whatever you want it to. Check it out.

Brainy Encyclopedia: find information on just about anything.

BugMeNot: Need a download from a site but don't wanna create an account? At bugmenot, someone might have made an account already and is willing to share it.

Cablenut: makes your internet goes faster. What could be cooler then that.

Caiman Free Games: large amount of freeware games. Updated weekly.

Catholic Encyclopedia: often extremely complete and extremely useful for all manner of information despite its title.

CIA World Factbook: general info on all different countries.

College Answer: you're ultimate college planning resource. In addition to finding scholarships, loans, and grants this site can answer any and every question imaginable that you could ever have about college. Also a valuable resource for preparing, deciding, and paying for college.

Computer Dictionary: look up all manner of computer terms.

CopyKat: get recipes to make restaurant foods.

Cryo-Laboratory:

deviantART: a place for artist and art lovers of all distinctions and styles to get together, submit art, and discuss.

Dictionary.com: great dictionary, thesaurus, and decent translator among other things.

Digital Paradise: some Photoshop and Cinema 4D tutorials among other things.

Download.com: search programs for all manner of programs in all categories, especially free programs and free trials. They have a very nice selection of Spyware removal programs too, among other things.

Dumb Laws: some of these are seriously funny.

Earth Calendar: just interesting. What holidays are celelbrated every day across the globe.

Easybib: bibliographies made easy.

eBay:

EBaum's World: loads of funny movies, pictures, soundboards

Epitonic: free music!

FAS Military: interesting info on US and international militaries and military equipment.

FastWeb: scholarships/loans/grants search along with tips and other college related material.

FindArticles:

FilExt: if you don't know what programs open a file with a certain extension, this is the place to go.

Forbes: notable for their business and financial news Forbes also contains abundant market and business related resources along with other interesting information. Whether you're going for investment informaiton, a casual glance over news articles, or full blown research Forbes has it all.

Free Image Hosting: find a site for hosting just about any image file. There's a image hoster her for everything and anything you can think of; from really huge pictures to massive amounts of them.

Free Photoshop Alternatives: a brief list of free programs with close to all the functionality of Photoshop, but without the $650 price tag.

Free Translation: another good translation site.

Freshmeat: a one stop shop for all Linux, Unix and Palm OS users; with the web's largest index of Linux, Unix, cross platform, and Palm OS software, you won't be dissapointed.

Game FAQs: everything you need to know to pass any game, if they don't have it, no one does. It also has faqs on the systems themselves, as in how to repair the systems

Gamespot: great for all manner of gaming info, cheats, news, reviews, ect....

Gametrailers: a huge archive of game trailer for games made in the past 4-5 years. If you don't find it here, it doesn't exist. Also includes a venerable amount of other game related material, but is most notable for its trailers.

Gizoogle: a google with a twist (very very funny check it out)

Guide to Writing Research Papers: always comes in handy.

Good-Tutorials: a few good tutorials for PhotoShop CS.

Google: the quintessential search engine, and according to many, the best. You'll see why, if you haven't already. Its strength doesn't neccesarily lie in its main interface, although that is excellent also, but its additional features. They'd take too long to write. You'll have to see them for yourself.

Gradesaver: like Spark Notes, though in many instances better even though they don't have quite a variety of books to choose from.

Great News: if you're tired of all the depressing news you here on TV and regular news sites.

Gutst Gourmet: just a recipe site I like.

Health Boards:

Heavy: free video games, jokes, free mp3 downloads, funny videos and health spanking content. Featuring Behind the Music that Sucks. That sums it up pretty well and definitely worth a look.

Home of the Underdogs: Great site that has lots of old PC games.

HowStuffWorks: find out how everything works.

Html: An Interactive Tutorial: good for anyone who wants to learn html.

HyperPhysics Concepts: helpful if you’re taking any sort of physics course.

iLoveLanguages: your Guide to Languages on the web

Image Hosting: excellent image hosting site with a cap of 1 MB. per image that not only hosts the image for free, but gives you various extensions for uses of the image after the fact, so you can more easily post thumbnails, hotlink images, post images on websites and forums and much more. You can also register for your own free Image Hosting Account that gives you additional features.

ImageShack: also an excellent image hosting shack and extremely similiar to Imagehosting.com insofar that you can register for an account, if gives you multiple extensions for whatever you want to use for image for. The image uploads are capped at 1 MB.

Infoplease:

InsultMonger: "Offensive jokes, an insulting slang dictionary, the world's largest multilingual swearing archive of 165 languages, random insult generators - you'll find them all here" (insultmonger.com).

Internet Archive: an internet archive of massive proportions, and not just books either. The objective is essentially to archive the entire internet to preserve a record of it for future generations to learn from an explore. This is why, since 1996 the IA has been archiving online books and texts, audio, images, software, and other media, but perhaps what it is most notably know for is that is has an archive of 30 billion plus old websites from 1996 to the present. A magnificent resource for both research, learning and amusement.

ITV: tv from all over the world in all different languages.

JoBlo's Movie Emporium: news, Reviews, Trailers, Wallpaper, Scripts, Upcoming Movies, and much more. Everything and anything you ever wanted to know about up and coming movies and those you missed and always wanted to see. Everything about this site is excellent; you'll never have to go anywhere else for movie info again.

Magnatune:

MajorGeeks: for your computing needs. With a prodigious archive of excellent freeware and shareware programs, along with reviews, computing tips, computing news, a glossary of common and not so common computing terms, support forum, and various other extremely helpful things for both the computer geek and the non-computer geek.

Manga Editing FAQ: nice site too learn how to edit manga.

Map24: Since you added route-planner for Canada/US, add one for Europe:

Minitokyo Galleries: By far the largest and perhaps the most notable anime art community; it combines anime, manga, and game related scans, wallpaper, abstract art, and much more. Keep in mind, this site takes an extremely long time to load, even on the fastest connections (IOW unless you have a download speed of 20Mbps+ you'll be waiting around for a while), but its worth the wait. The anime on this site is absolutely stunning.

Mofunzone: a great game site

Mozilla: a group of developers who have produced some extremely impressive freeware. Notable for the Firefox browser, all their programs are worth a serious looking at.

MxTabs: greatest tab site in the universe! Guitar tabs, base tabs, drum tabs. They've got it all.

My Theme Tutorials: a great sight for first time sig makers.

Nasa Website: self explanatory

National Geographic: Science, Geography, History, and all manner of interesting stuff.

Netlingo: IM lingo, computer terms, things like that.

Newegg: cheap and great computer parts online, and shipping's real fast too.

Newgrounds: Games, Parodies, Satire, Toons, movies, media of all types shapes and sizes. You could spend your whole life reviewing this website and not see half of it, but be warned. Some of the stuff is kinda lewd.

Notes From the Road: a very unusual travel site and one well worth visiting, if simply for the fact that it has beautiful pictures, and his layed back, relaxed, and personal way of talking about beautiful and fascinating places around the US and around the world.

NT Compatible: if a program refuses to run under Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 look here - there's a very good chance you'll find a solution.

Nuklear Power: Get reading on 8-bit theater.

Online Books Page: view and read over 20,000 free books online. Though the books tend to be classics and most view books bridge the gap of the 20th century, besides reference books it still stands as an extensive archive of some serious reading material. Also a good reference site.

Open Office: great alternative to expensive programs like office, plus its free and open source.

Operation Blackhand: just a forum created by a friend of mine I frequent

OverClocker's Forum: reallly good for anything computer related, especially computer questions

PHP Nuke:

PianoSheets: greatest piano music sheet site in the universe!

Pixel2Life: thousands of tutorials for 25 different programs, mostly media based, such as: Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Flash, Dreamweaver, ect..

Poetry: everything poetry. If poetry is your thing then this is the place for you.

Photobucket: pretty good for storing online photos.

Phrontistery: A cool dictionary of big and confusing words that nobody actually uses in everyday speech. 15,500+ words.

Pure Pwnage: has the funniest show ever.

Quotes Cache: literary Quotes About Humor:Dark Humor and Practically Everything Else

RapidShare: you upload any file type you want, up to 30MB, without having to register. Then you get a link to share the uploaded file and a link to delete it. Then you can give the link to friends, post in on a forum or do whatever you want with it and as long as it is used once every 30 days they will host it forever.

Red vs. Blue: funny as hell. A parody of Halo and a must see.

Scirus: the largest, science-specific search engine on the internet and rated best specialty search engine in 2001 and 2002 there are numerous application that this notable and useful search engine can and has been used for.

Slashdot:

Snopes: Current Rumors and Urban Legends

Taquitos: Snack Review Site!

The Noob: funny Comic about a noob in an RPG and his adventures (if you played any kind of mmo its a must read).

ThinkExist Quotations: find quotations easily.

Time and Date: just if you're curious what time it is in other parts of the world.

Tokyotosho: great site that lists in graphics free layout the latest fansub releases with a search feature...

Ultimate Manga Guide: a guide to every manga ever made.

Ultimate IRC Search Engine: a great place to search for irc xdcc bot lists

UploadAdultImages: adult Image hosting site

US Political Parties: interesting info on US political parties.

VirtualDub: video capture and processing software for Windows.

VideoHelp: excellent site for Guides to converting file types, creating your own DVDs, capturing video streams, copying and editing DVDs, and much more video and DVD related material.

Weather Channel: always good to know the weather

Webshots: a remarkable website and programs containing thousands of beautiful photos that can be used for a screensaver or desktop when used with the program.

Webtender: everything and anything you ever wanted to know about bartending, becoming a bartender, preparing drinks and drink recipes; you've just gotta see this.

Who's Alive and Who's Dead: ever wondered if your favorite childhood singer, actor, author, or athlete is still alive. I sure have. Here's where you can find out who's alive and who's dead.

Wikipedia: free, open source encyclopedia.

World Population: a cool little website that uses complex mathematical equations and statistics to predict, within a remarkable degree of accuracy what the current population is, and what it will be in the future.

YouSendIt: this is originally designed to allow you to send a mail to a friend with a huge attachement file (up to 1GB). Your friend will recieve a link to download the file, not the file itself. This is really useful because the size of attachements and the size of mailboxes is usually very limited. If you send a mail to yourself with a huge attachement file and get the url for it, you may have here a way to share huge files with anybody.

Your Sky: What does your night sky look like? For the astronomer in all of us, or at least me.

Zagat Survey: Restaurant reviews from your own home town to just about anywhere in the world with a good restaurant.

What I'll do is periodically add all the websites posted into a Master List of Useful Websites. Just include a very brief description and the URL.

I'd like to thank everybody who has contributed to this list thus far. Namely:

From Boxtorrents: BartBazzle, cianjo, EiG, DaAznSaN, Goku346, ilmoen, kira, MoxMonkey, RichMan, Ryu Kento Kayiaxo, Tashi, The Smarter Pie , X7r3m3, Xsharingan_knightX, YellowKitten, ZeroShadow, and Zhangv2. Thanks to you all and from now on I'll be more diligent in updating this thread.

From Operation Blackhand: AwayDaking, Prime Suspect, The First Enemy

From From Cryo-Laboratory: rhino56

Last edited:
You might want to change the color so the names of the sites are easier to read. You also might want to remove the torrent site because it is against the fourm rules to link to it.

torrent site I removed, colors I'll have to fix later, since i have to log off. Thanks for lettting me know Kendan.

Thanks again. For now I'm going to work on just making the list on white until I can think up some good colors that go with the black background. Till then the list may look kinda funky since it takes a while to take out the color code for every single website. Oh, and if anyone has a website just put it in a post and I'll incorporate it in at some point.

make sure to add steampowered.com
The green is really hard to read
but goodjob otherwise :)

Whoa,

copy and paste the list into notepad then click on Edit >> replace >> enter the color code you want to replace with the new one you want. Then copy paste it back into your post. Easy as pie;)

Kendan said:
Whoa,

copy and paste the list into notepad then click on Edit >> replace >> enter the color code you want to replace with the new one you want. Then copy paste it back into your post. Easy as pie;)

Thanks Kendan again. Now I feel stupid, all the unneccessary nitpicking I've been doing :bang head, oh well. Sorry for not responding for a bit, but I do appreciate it. For those that listed websites, they will be incorporated, I just don't know when. The problem I'm coming across is that I posted this thread on quite a few forums and whenever I update one, I have to update the rest, then I have errors on one, and it gets complicated. If anyone has any ideas for making this process easier I'm all ears. Again, thanks, and I will continue updating, just continue posting sites. Thanks :santa:.

Back