• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cool down CPU from its 100 degrees (Air)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schmil

Hi,

Im using a Intel XEON X5680 (3.33 GHz) and OC'd it right now up to 4+ GHz stable (HT off, BCLK 150 x26 or BLCK 205 x20). The CPU can take it fine under Prime95, but its getting way to hot. I think when I can pull more heat out I can get another 400 MHz maybe.

The idle temp of the CPU is 45 °C. In Prime it goes over 95°C if the OC goes hits 4 GHz.

But I still have fresh high quality cooling paste and a Noctua NH U12P massive Cooling Tower with 2x 12mm fans on it. What can I do?

(maybe sucking in 2°C air via duct from the Window? :p)

Hi,

Im using a Intel XEON X5680 (3.33 GHz) and OC'd it right now up to 4+ GHz stable (HT off, BCLK 150 x26 or BLCK 205 x20). The CPU can take it fine under Prime95, but its getting way to hot. I think when I can pull more heat out I can get another 400 MHz maybe.

The idle temp of the CPU is 45 °C. In Prime it goes over 95°C if the OC goes hits 4 GHz.

But I still have fresh high quality cooling paste and a Noctua NH U12P massive Cooling Tower with 2x 12mm fans on it. What can I do?

(maybe sucking in 2°C air via duct from the Window? :p)

I will start by saying I don’t know that chip at all and you may have hit it’s thermal limit and you won’t be able to cool except by like you said drastic measures of really cold air/water

That said you can check a few things. If you take your cooler off is the thermal paste spread evenly? Or do you have one side where there is none and the other side has too much.

Can you lower the voltage for the same overclocked speed? Or does it get unstable? Obviously less power means less heat. You don’t actually mention in your post what voltage you are using.

Does your case have adequate cooling? No point in having a really good air cooler if there isn’t any cool air getting to it.

You didn't mention what voltage you're using to achieve 4+Ghz.

Also, while the Noctua NH-U12P is a capable cooler, it's far from what many would consider "massive".

Get a water cooler... at least 2x140mm in size... but it isn't going to be THAT much better, honestly. If you are hitting 95C on that CPU, you are already way too hot and shouldn't be running it there.

What does Realtemp say its TJmax is?

Volts on auto maybe?
My 5670 does 4.2 around 1.325vcore on p6td board

Btw, another 400mhz after 4.1ghz is going to be exceedingly difficult:D

Back