• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

coolant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
ok its my understanding that isopropyl alchahol doesnt freeze untill -127C which should make it an excalent canadate for a coolant solution except for the small molacules evaporate easily. but if i were to put it in an airtight setup that should prevent evaporation right. especialy if its going to be run across a massive freon coil.

????????????????????????????

an airtight setup would prevent losing the alcohol to the atmosphere, but it could still evaporate inside a sealed container. It all depends on the temperatures and pressures. I'll see if I can't find a phase diagram for alcohol.

ok, no luck on a phase diagram yet, but I did find some numbers for methanol (not isopropyl alcohol.) Methanol freezes at -97.7C and evaporates at 64.5C at atmospheric pressure.

Use this for a guideline. If you're gonna be at atmospheric pressure, you shouldn't have to worry about evaporating the alcohol until around 60C. I don't know the exact number for isopropyl alcohol, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere online.

ok... well the thing i was thinking is using pure isopropyl alchahol as the coolant in my system. i would have just done it but my a freind told me that he thinks that just the friction caused by the tubing could be enough to ignight it.

ssjwizard said:
ok... well the thing i was thinking is using pure isopropyl alchahol as the coolant in my system. i would have just done it but my a freind told me that he thinks that just the friction caused by the tubing could be enough to ignight it.

First of all, I'm no expert at watercooling. I have read a few threads, and I believe that by mixing water with alcohol, you actually get better thermal properties than by just using alcohol. A 60/40 water:alcohol mix would virtually eliminate any chances of fire, as well.

You should do some searching through the threads here in the cooling section. There is tons of info on setting up watercooling.

Isopropyl alcohol is not as good at conducting heat as water. I don't remeber the flash point for it but you can go to some place that sells it and they should have an MSDS sheet on it with all the information that you need.

Back