• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CoolBits vs RiviaTuner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sartori

Registered
Is there any advantage using RiviaTuner over the CoolBits registry edit, or is it just personal preference? If there are advantages, could someone please point them out?

Thanks.

Cube

Coolbits is pretty much just a registry file that makes certain changes to allow the Overclocking tab to appear in the Display Properties. Although sometimes the numbers that appear there are not the actual numbers. This is why I don't use Coolbits.

RivaTuner is a program that offers two ways to overclock. One being through regular driver settings (somewhat like Coolbits) but very accurate. The other way, is called "Low Level". What that means is that RivaTuner talks directly with the graphics card to set the OC level bypassing the drivers. Both ways getting the same performance from the card. Also, RivaTuner allows you to "fine tune" your DirectX and OpenGL modes for your card. Because of all these features, many people shy away because they don't understand the program. They opt for the easy way out and use Coolbits hehe.

Once you figure out how RivaTuner works, you'll love it. Guru3D.Com even has Forums dedicated to RivaTuner so people that have problems can find a solution.

DaveSauce

i have used rivatuner.....it is an excellent program. All you really need to do is read the instructions to get it set up....it works just fine after. There are a ton of advanced settings that you can use if you want, but you dont have to.....

CoolBits is easier, but rivatuner is much more powerful.

Shade00

If you want to tweak, then there's no question that Rivatuner is for you. If you just want basic overclocking, then you'd be fine with just Coolbits. I've always used Coolbits for my Nvidia cards. I like it because it's integrated with the drivers.

OP
S

Sartori

Registered
Even if you start to get into the advanced tweaking, is the preformance gain that much greater with rivia tuner though?