• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master AeroGate II Thermal Controller... can it handle SF II's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreIU

Hey all, I have been looking for good revies on the net concerning this fan controller, and I cannot seem to get a clear idea... I have been told that some fan controllers cannot handle fans such as the tornado or SF's.

In my case, I will be operating with 3 SF II's, two 80mm intake and a 92mm CPU fan. The CPU fan will most likely be at high for the most part, while the other two will not always be on past half speed.

I was just wondering if this was doable. thanks guys! :)

[KX3]rAge

go to the coolermaster site and find the aerogate II under products or whatever, check the rated watts/channel.
go to a site with specs on those fans, check the amount of power they use. If they use less then what the aerogate can handle, then your good to go ;)

Sentential

Contributing Member
See sig. It handles them fine. However not Tornados. It clocks em down but then slowly raises them back up to about 1/2 speed. SF2s arent so bad.

OP
dreIU

dreIU

[KX3]rAge said:
go to the coolermaster site and find the aerogate II under products or whatever, check the rated watts/channel.
go to a site with specs on those fans, check the amount of power they use. If they use less then what the aerogate can handle, then your good to go ;)

From Coolermaster's webbie:

Fan input: 12V / 1A ± 5%; 5V / 0.5A ± 5%
Fan output 7-12V / 1A

SF's:

Rated Current: 0.15~0.48A
Power Input: 1.80~5.76W
Rated Voltage: 12V

Do these numbers mean anything to me? no, that is why I came here and posted about it. ;)

Sentential, thanks for the confirmation.

tekOC

No.

Coolermaster says that AerogateII can handle 18 watts per channel, the AerogateII has 4 channels for fans, so 3 SFIIs will fit, but now you gotta check how many watts the SFII is - I have no idea, but I bet they are under 18 watts each

= the answer is yes, you can.

I dunno why I typed that out so wierd
EDIT**actually I think that was pretty damn clear and easy to understand

OP
dreIU

dreIU

tekOC said:
I dunno why I typed that out so wierd
EDIT**actually I think that was pretty damn clear and easy to understand

LMAO! thanks, I thought it was clear :D

so 18 watts per fan?? Power Input: 1.80~5.76W is what TT says... does that mean that I am ok then?

thanks agian.

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
18 watts per channel on the fan controller...
Each of your fans is rated at 5.76 watts...
3 x 5.76 watts = 17.28 watts.. thats less than the fan controllers 18 watt, max per channel..
2 x 5.76 watts = 11.52 watts, I would stick with 2 fans per channel..leave a little head room..;)

OP
dreIU

dreIU

archilochus said:
18 watts per channel on the fan controller...
Each of your fans is rated at 5.76 watts...
3 x 5.76 watts = 17.28 watts.. thats less than the fan controllers 18 watt, max per channel..
2 x 5.76 watts = 11.52 watts, I would stick with 2 fans per channel..leave a little head room..;)

But, there are four channels? 18watts each? meaning one fan per channel, so 18 watts for each channel? Am I looking at this wrong?

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
If you needed to put 3 fans per channel on the fan controller it would probably be able to handle it..

Your fan, is 5.76 watts..subtract that from 18 watts..the answer is how many watts are still available to the output of the controller per channel..

One fan per channel is no problem..Go for it..

OP
dreIU

dreIU

archilochus said:
If you needed to put 3 fans per channel on the fan controller it would probably be able to handle it..

Your fan, is 5.76 watts..subtract that from 18 watts..the answer is how many watts are still available to the output of the controller per channel..

One fan per channel is no problem..Go for it..

Well, the way I was looking at it was this, and please tell me if I am not understanding how this thing works: For one channel, I will use my CPU SF II, so there is 5.76watts of that channel's available 18. For another channel, I will use two SF II's if possible, still not near 18 watts for this second channel. For the third channel, I will use another fan that will be on the side of my case that will be blowing on the ram. This fan will most likely be less powerfull than a SF, unless I decide to use a SF for this application as well.

Am I getting this right?