• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolest, quietest AMD CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bebaumax

Hey, guys, bottom line is, I went back to intel. But, I just found an old EPOX 8KHA board (okokok.. I know.. how do you misplace and forget about a motherboard...). I'm sick of the noise from AMD CPUs. What's the coolest-running CPU I can get for this Socket A board? And what's my best bet for low-noise cooling? Should I just buy a retail XP?

Thanks for all your advice, guys!
-B

I could be wrong, but I would imagine that those xp1700 tbreds people have been talking about are pretty cool. They only use 1.5v(?), so they should'nt produce alot of heat. (at stock speeds ofcourse)

wow, that's a pretty low vcore. yeah, i can't imagine that produces too much heat with as average 1.8+ vcore does.

If you are not thinking of overclocking it, at least for now, why not get an xp1600 (cheap) and undervolt it. The xp in rig#2 below is running with a 1.65 vcore with no problems. With the ax7 and the silent papst fan you cant get much quieter.

My 1600+ runs about 10c cooler than my 1700+ Tbred. I'd think a 1600+ w/ a good stepping could drop to some _very_ low voltages @ default speed. 1600+ Palomino would be my choice for quiet speed :)

nightowl said:
If you are not thinking of overclocking it, at least for now, why not get an xp1600 (cheap) and undervolt it. The xp in rig#2 below is running with a 1.65 vcore with no problems. With the ax7 and the silent papst fan you cant get much quieter.

What is the AX-7, and where can I get that? Do you know rough cost?

Thanks for everyone's reply so far!
-B

If you check this thread you should be able to find somewhere that will ship to you. I know they cost around £30 but I dont know about any other countries.

maxima88 said:
The thermalright SK-7] cost just a few $ more but performs slightly better than the ax-7. The SLK-800 is the best HS but costs over $40 w/o a fan.

What's the quietest fan I can get? Are these 80mm heatsinks? Damn, now I'm gettin' all excited about an AMD system again..
-B

Back