• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

COOLIN ON THE ANTEC sx1040!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

burn

Hi there, my first post here ;)

Well I will be building my first system going, ddr using the antec sx 1040 case. I plan to overclock some, not a lot, but not a little. My question is that if I fill the availible fan slots on the case, thats 4 80mm fans total, will that be enough cooling? The fans will be sunon, either the 36cfm or 42.5 cfm versions. There are 2 80mm outtakes by the cpu, one 80 mm intake in the front and an 80 mm fan blowing across the hdd bay, link to the specific placement here: http://www.antec-inc.com/product/cases/sohoser.htm
Will this be enough?
Thanks!
-Kevin

I've got the SX1030 and I've got 4 47CFM YS Techs and it EASILY keeps the case at room temp. Once I get my watercooling setup I'm hoping to swap out the YS Techs for 2 36CFM Sunons and the 2 Antec fans that came with the case. I've just gotten tired of the fan noise.... 4 80mm YS Techs and a 60mm Delta is not pleasant after a while...

welcome to the forum burn. That case should do just fine at keeping your temps down. Noise might become an issue after a while. My comps been dead for 5 days now (waiting on a new motherboard) and my office is DEFINITELY quieter without it running. I hadn't realized how noisy those fans could be, since I added them one by one over time I was used to "a little bit more" noise each time. Since my comps been down I've also ordered a watercooling kit so I won't need the noisy hsf and maybe I could ditch a couple more fans. Just something to think about.

I got the SX1030 model, but with a 431W EnerMax PSU.
I also have 4 of those 42.5cfm Sunon fans... If kept at 12v, it's like a jet engine... I keep them at 5v, which gives enough airflow and the noise is almost as low as them turned off.

I know a mod that will take a lot away from the fans, tho. Just cut the "grills" away that are in the case, that should remove 3-6db, I think. Effectively drops the noise level to 1/2 or 1/4 of original.
I'm doing that mod in a few weeks, I'll post the results.

i'm going to order the SX840. looks just like the 1040.. 4 fans, 2 front, 2 back. i think i'll keep the 2 stock fans in the back and 2 sunon 42db fans in front. thanks for the tip of lowering the noise level.

The only difference with the 830/840, and the 1030/1040 is the second hard-disk cage. As it stands anyways, the cage will hold three 3.5 drives (in the 830). The 1030/40 has a second one (its a soho server type setup). So unless you really need to hold more than three hard disks... go for the cheaper 830/40. And if you are even pondering water cooling... then the spot in the front for the 2x 80mm fans is a great place for a DD cooling cube (my current set-up).

Cheers!

So, it's exactly the same, except it doesn't have the second bay. Very good move from Antec.

Back