• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goateh

Ok, I have probly asked this before. But I really could use with some fresh input into this.

I currently have a sk6+ with a 60mm Sunon fan on it.

Right, So would it be better to get a Zalman Fan bracket (I have a TT Smartfan II to use in it I guess). Or would it be better to get a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu cooler for my 2500+ @ 3200+?

Low noise for the amount of cooling would be an added bonus, I used to have the al-cu version on my p4 it seemed to do nicely and was really quiet. The 7000Acu is only $20 more than the bracket and a 80mm fan adapter, so Which would give better cooling for the money? I am also keen on a quiet solution, but it doesn't have to be whisper quiet, just not screaming like a tornado :p

My current temps are about 42c Idle and about 52-55c under full load :)

Edit: Bare in mind I live in New Zealand, and a slk900u or A is about $102 :p

:sn:

OP
Goateh

Goateh

Im not really insistant on chaning the heatsink and fan, its more along the lines of "Would it be worth the hassle to get either of those options?"

COme to think of it, I probly should have put that in...

mtb856

Well the SK-6 has a C/W of .36 meaning your cpu temps at load should be apprx. 36°C over your case temp.

The Zalman 7000 Cu has a C/W of .32 ... now read this quote
overclockers.com said:
The relative rankings in this table indicate the difference, in degrees Centigrade, among the CPU cooling options tested. For example, at 100 watts, the difference between Swiftech's MCX462 and the Millennium Glaciator is three degrees C; at 50 watts, 1 ½ C, and so on. Closely ranked heatsinks may, in fact, show little or no difference, or even reverse positions, when compared in a specific system and especially at heat loadings of 50 watts or less.

This means that depending on what wattage your cpu is putting out, you should see an apprx. drop of 2-3°C by upgrading to the Zalman. Notice that you can change your C/W rating by changin fans, a higher pressure fan like a Panaflo or Delta HHE would lower it considerably. If you get a different fan, I would recommend looking for one that is 38mm thick b/c those fans tend to be the highest pressure fans, meaning it will cool the HS all the way to the base while normal case fans just cool the top on the HS fins. Hope this helps :) and Good Luck cooling!

Radical

Also I would imagine the Zalman would be much more quiet than the 60mm Sunon you're using now.

OP
Goateh

Goateh

yeah but it doesn't really work on my board without bending caps. So i'd rahter not