• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Advise PLease

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris

My problem is i have an 80mm adapter and 80mm fan on my 60mm*60mm heatsink. The cooling works fine but the problem is as soon as i put the side of the case on the temps just keep rising and rising. This is because the fan is so close to the side about 2" away. The only thing i could think of doing is drilling holes in the side of the case. Or making some sort of duct which i have seen other people do but i just dont know where to start and which is the best idea.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
Hi Chris,

You could use a Dremel to make a blow-hole in the side of you're case but if you don't I might just have an idea.

Try reversing your fan, so instead of blowing it sucks of the HSF.

And do your case temps rise dramatically? It could be your case temps (not enough airflow) not your CPU.

Go here and you willl find some answers to improving your airflow.

Good Luck,
Maximus Nickus

OP
Chris

Chris

Thanks for the advise i have flipped the fan over and it seems to have nocked a couple of degrees C off when the case is on compared to when it was off! Nice advise also would you recomend i put a blowhole in thop or the side of my case?

Tecumseh

I know a guy who practices the minimalist approach
to cooling. He had a problem like you. His solution was
to carefully note the position of the fan and mark it on
the inside of the side cover. Then he simply drilled a
bunch of holes in a nice pattern from the inside in
this area. Drilling from the inside can make nicer looking
holes from the outside. The bottom line is that unless you
have a holesaw, this drilling holes method is a lot
easier and works fine. All you purists out there: Chill. :D

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
chris_4130 said:
Thanks for the advise i have flipped the fan over and it seems to have nocked a couple of degrees C off when the case is on compared to when it was off! Nice advise also would you recomend i put a blowhole in thop or the side of my case?

You could do both!!!
It depends on what you want to achieve, the Blowhole at the top will lower case temps, the side blowhole will lower the CPU.
It could be better if you're handy with a dremel to make a sude blowhole, then you can put the fan around to its original position, this would be very similar to a duct!

Good Luck,
M_N