• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling an OC'd LAPTOP???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
I recently OC'd my laptop, a 700mhz celeron (not a great cpu at the best of times), and after taking it to pieces emerged with a laptop cpu now clocked at 1.4ghz, double the original clock speed. This setup is great and incredibly stable (it has yet to crash after 3months at that speed - having run both the prime95 torture test and having been on perpetualy without restart for 2weeks whilst I left it Folding (for team 32 of course). A good OC you'd say, although laptop oc'ing doesnt seem all that common as far as I can see.
However, being a laptop means just that, a pc you can put on your lap. This one after 6 or so hours of use becomes so hot that it starts to burn you through your trousers, and for prolonged use I put it on a heat proof mat on the table. so what i wanted to know is -

How do I mod or cool an OC'd laptop for reduced temps??????
it has one 20mm and one 40mm stock fans in it at the moment, and heatpipes on the cpu that run to the 40mm. Any ideas??? if nothing works I may have to downclock it back again...sigh...
Thanks

Vrykyl

My laptop is not overclocked, but I was able to mod it to run cooler. I removed the heatsink (dont loose any screws, and keep track of which ones go where), removed the thermal pad, lapped it to 600 grit, and applied AS5. Been running like that for about a week, great so far.

By the way, how did you OC a laptop? I have never heard of one with a FSB control in the BIOS.

-Noah

yeah, just about the only thing would be removing the thermal pad and applying AS5 (dont forget to lap!)

you could take the heat sink to a machine shop and see if they can make a copper version.

with out doing that removing it and using artic silver is your next best option.

last suggestion duct it. Cut out the fan grill.

I read a review on systemcooling a while ago which involves an metal adptor/plate which could be mounted at the bottom of the laptop. I can't find the link right now though. :eek:

its an original toshiba sattelite 1800, if you whip off the bottom and get to the cpu you can alter the jumpers to allow you to OC. I may cut the tiny holed molded fan grill off of the bottom and replace with a large holed metal one (so i dont put my fingers in it) so the 40mm can blow easier out of the bottom.
Might sound crazy but im also tempted to try water cooling on it - iv got a TT Aquarius3 kit im not using at the mo....
what do you think?

I guess you would have to make some sort of removable watercooling setup (unless you never move your laptop). Maybe you could build some sort of dock with a watercooled metal plate under the laptop.

that was the kind of idea i was thinking of, maybe cutting away the base around the cpu area so that the inards are still covered but the cpu is exposed and building a dock for it with a raised water block that would thus then connect with the cpu, but could be just lifted away for ease of movement. The laptop itself would never come into contact with the water....

i think the point of lap-tops is so that they are portable, hence, laptops, if u have to lug around a big external WC setup, it would totally defeat the purpose of even having a laptop, i would say just remove the thermal tape, lap the heatsink, and apply some AS5, that should lower the temps by around 6c, give or take a few degrees

Vrykyl said:
that was the kind of idea i was thinking of, maybe cutting away the base around the cpu area so that the inards are still covered but the cpu is exposed and building a dock for it with a raised water block that would thus then connect with the cpu, but could be just lifted away for ease of movement. The laptop itself would never come into contact with the water....

What about using a container to avoid contact with water and with extended legs, from there adapt a board to it or something.

At least on my laptop, the CPU is not the only hot spot. I also get a lot of heat under my ram, which has no heatsink or airflow. Maybe cooling the ram and other hot spots would make it more comfortable on your lap. I am not really sure exactly how to do so, as there is almost no space.

I recently built a water cooling pad for my laptop. What I did was I used 1/4" copper pipe, bent around inside 1/8" thick alumium plates which I screwed together using machine screws. I use a rubbermaid pitcher with an eheim submersible pump to pump water around. When I have the pitcher on the inside window sill in my apartment, the fans never come on in my laptop (a dell inspiron 8200, see sig) unless I'm gaming for a while or something like that. See this thread for pics and more info thread

im seriously considering the dual fan stands from the first site in the Fanmans link....may get one and mod it with a custom built, low profile water cooling rig

I used to have one of those plastic pads with 3 fans in it - they come under all kinds of brand names. The fans burnt out after a few months usage, and the pad is flimsy and it made my laptop slide around. That's why I built the aluminum pad I have now, because even when I have my water pump off, the aluminum acts as a heat spreader and keeps the laptop cool.

Back