• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Cooling down a 5900x - My cooler is insufficient

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Hey all, so I just finished installing my 5900x last night, and I ran some tests.

Time Spy Extreme passed with no issues and no overheating. Then I launched Path of Exile, and temps soared to 94C.

The Cooler being used is a Cryorig H5A Universal, and even at full bore on the fans, the temps remained unchanged.

I reseated the cooler and reapplied Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme thermal compound with the same result.

It cools off very quickly after dropping the load, which means the cooler is making good contact. It idles around 45-50C in a room that is 24C.

Things of Note: I ran out of canned air, and the heatsink block is caked in dust. That means there is some headroom to be gained and potential for undervolting to keep the cooler a bit until I can afford to dump $130 on an AIO (My first one)

About how much difference would an extra fan in the back of the cooler in a push-pull config do? I have a few lying around, but I need some way to mount them to the cooler.

HWMonitor_MMqYXyBjG0.png

I'm surprised you're seeing that temp from gaming... odd. Can you confirm with another application (core temp or something) that temperature?

It cools off very quickly after dropping the load, which means the cooler is making good contact.
That's just how CPUs work. If you didn't have a heatsink on it, temps drop incredibly quickly as well.

94C is still within operating parameters. IIRC, 100C these throttle so, you're OK where you are at. Have you tried running a stress test on it?

Also may want to update your sig with the latest and greatest you have. :)

I'm surprised you're seeing that temp from gaming... odd. Can you confirm with another application (core temp or something) that temperature?

That's just how CPUs work. If you didn't have a heatsink on it, temps drop incredibly quickly as well.

94C is still within operating parameters. IIRC, 100C these throttle so, you're OK where you are at. Have you tried running a stress test on it?

Also may want to update your sig with the latest and greatest you have. :)
A quick check shows 90C is where thermal throttling happens for this particular chip - at least according to Ryzen Master and this reddit thread.

I'll test the other application, but I'm fairly certain it will repeat.

Path of Exile is notoriously hard on components - I had to run it in 1080p on the 6700k to push over 144 fps (Monitor refresh rate). The 5900x was pushing something like 320 fps with the same settings. Maybe that's why? I cranked all the settings to max and it slowed to an absolute crawl. (40 fps, still playable, but that was before the screen was littered with monsters.

Also, Yeah, Jeesh, that sig is way out of date
. EDIT: Fixed

Last edited:
Oops, thinking 7000 series. Sorry!

I don't play that game, but holy cow that would be the hottest run game EVAR. How many cores/threads does it use (pop up task manager and see)......all of them, lol!

Oops, thinking 7000 series. Sorry!

I don't play that game, but holy cow that would be the hottest run game EVAR. How many cores/threads does it use (pop up task manager and see)......all of them, lol!
All good! So, I turned on Eco mode, for now, the hottest core was 86C. Performance loss in the game was 2-4 fps, so... It's a good enough solution until I can afford a better cooler.

Only reason I didn't go 7000 series or 13700k was the fact that I'd also have to buy DDR5 ram and a mobo that was $200 more than the one I got. Was simply out of my budget range, and the 5900x was still a 38% boost over the 6700k. I thought about the 5800X3D, but I was concerned about my cooler's ability to handle the thermal load of that monster, moreso than the 5900X.

Last edited:
You couldn't go wrong either way.

I know it's after the fact, but you could use DDR4 with 13700K and Z690/Z790. Not sure how much you paid for that X570 Steel legend, but Z690 DDR4 Wi-Fi Steel Legend Wi-Fi is $190.

I thought about the 5800X3D, but I was concerned about my cooler's ability to handle the thermal load of that monster, moreso than the 5900X.
??

5800X3D's TDP is 96W and it's an 8c/16t CPU versus the 105W CPU that has 12c/24t. At load it uses less power across the board. Does it somehow run hotter?

5800X3D is a lot easier to cool than 5900X. You need a really good cooler for 5900X if you want to fully exploit it. With FC140 I run 235/160/190 and my curve and she rips to 5150 on multiple cores, 4500MHz when the full 235w is in use :D

X3D is a cool running CPU Imo, those who say it's hot need better cooling :)

I am using a little PA120 on my X3D and I can get 143w PPT out of it,

Back