• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling for Scorpio 668

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

komm

I'm pretty new to the cooling sector of computers, so I need a few suggestions on some case fans. I'm using the scorpio 668, and from what I can tell there are 5 case fan slots. 3 of them are occupied, and I'm not sure if using the other 2 will make any difference. I'll be basically using this for gaming. I'm building the computer, and here are the components come monday:

Athlon 64 3000+
Geforce 6800
512 PC3200 Corsair
Onboard sound (no biggy)
Raidmax Scorpio 668

Some plans on overclocking, but i'm more worried about building the computer right. It's my first time, and its going to be pretty damn hard, because I even have problems sticking PCI cards in the slots without freaking out. On a side question, is configuration or installing the components on the mobo harder?

I need some budget case fans, and on newegg there are over 500 to choose from. Oog. I'm expecting around 5-10 dollars for each, and I could care less on appearance (cathodes, clear fan, etc) , my case looks pretty awesome as it is. How loud the fans are doesn't matter much either, I'm using some sealed headphones. If using the 2 empty fan slots will make much of a difference, can anyone suggest a brand or specific fan?

nova7

durst

I have the Scorpio 668 case also. I bought some Vantec fans. They work pretty good. Though I could have bought some better ones, I wanted some UV reactant fans.

Question. I just realized there are two versions of this case. Do you have the sidways mounted hard drive bays? Or are they facing the same direction as the rest of your bays?

Snagle

Your story sounds a lot like mine was a little over a month ago except that it sounds like you have a lot more money to spend on parts :)

Anyways, the only way to get comfortable around your hardware is to use it. The order that I did my installation was:

1. put processor in socket
2. install heatsink on processor (scariest part of first time install IMO)
3. RAM into slot (just put enough pressure evenly across the stick)
4. mount mobo into case
5. lay case flat and install GPU (line up edges to fit the slot then apply pressure until the locking piece flips over, kinda scary the first time you do it)
6. Install cords from case into proper mobo headers (use the mobo manual, take your time, gets confusing if you rush it)
7. Double check everything
8. Enjoy your new FAST and good looking computer.

Also, to make things simpler for later, add an interim step:

3.5 cut out the grills for the rear fans and then clean out the metal shavings from inside the case.

cutting out the grills will cause your case to be quieter and cooler. Doing it before you put anything in your case will keep it from being a hassle later when everything is installed.

BTW which color did you get in that case? I have a black scorpio 868, the cheaper, non-aluminum one.

If you have the money to burn I'd definetly consider taking out all the raidmax fans and putting in somthing else. I found that my stock raidmax fans were pretty mediocre. For additional fans you have quite a few options but id recommend.

Quiet/Cool- Panaflo L1A

Tolerable/Cooler- Panaflo H1B

Loud/Coolest- Sunon Tornado

If you are only going to be OCing lightly at most, or you arent obsessed with temps, then go with L1As throughout the case. I have 3 in my case and they are quiet as....well they are just plain quiet :sn:

For intake I use the H1B because it pushes quite a lot of air which my mobo appreciates. It's nowhere near quiet like the L1A but it is tolerable. I have a Sunbeam Rheobus so I just turn down the speed if I want it to be as silent as my L1As

If you want to go alll out cooling power then the Tornado will work. You said you'll be wearing headphones but unless you are wearing somthing with active noise cancelling then I bet you will still be able to hear the Tornados. If you are going to be sleeping in the same room as the computer then forget the Tornados and get L1As.

Let me know if theres anything else you have questions about.

OP
komm

komm

Ok, I followed the guide and everything seems to be working out great, except that I'm a tad confused on what to do with a few things... I read somewhere that I need to use different wire sets coming from the power supply for both the fans and the GPU... Is this true? And also, is the configuring harder than the installing?

durst

maybe this sticky is what you are reffering too?

and again, what about your case? Just wondering if yours has the sideways mounted hard drive bays, or are they facing the same direction as the rest of your bays?

Snagle

Don't worry about getting the power supply cords organized just yet. You can have fans and everything else on the same cord chain and 99% of the time you'll be fine. It is just a nice saftey measure to have things seperated in case somthing causes a failure. Right now though just worry about getting your system up and running and get windows ( or linux:) ) installed and whatnot. You can worry about the details of inside your case later.