• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D_MaN

I would like to overclock my core i7 to about 4 ghz what cooler would you reccomend?
Would the noctua nh u12p cooler be ok?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

muddocktor

Retired
Since I don't have an i7 system I can't say for sure, but I imagine that heatsink with upgraded fans might get you there. Of course, higher cfm fans will be noisier than the Noctua fans that come with that heatsink. And you still might have to back down the overclock in the summer months, depending on the environment the computer is set up in. If they are available around you, I would also look at a TRUE Rev. C or a Venomous X too.

Conumdrum

Your best bet is look here. Choose a top 5 and look at costs for each one. I know at least one top 5 is way under $50 and is really good.

Hopefully your case and your ability/knowledge in i7 overclocking is good, reaching 4.0 is pretty easy.

Frostytech.com, thier link is messed up right now, so no direct link.
Might need to read up on Thermal pastes too.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232141
Might need to read up on thermal paste applications too, if you choose a HDT cooler.
No link grr........

BTW, if you would read here for a day or so, reading many posts, you'd probably already know your answer..............

Mudd has some good input. Look at those, they are top notch. Pricy, but for sure able to keep temps under control.