• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Issues Suck.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MerryMortician

Cooling Issues help?

MSI K8t Neo
AMD Athlon 64 3200 (Socket 754)
520w PSU
Thermaltake Aquarius III
Watercooled system
1.5 gig of Crucial PC3200 DDRAM
160gig Maxtor 7600RPM
ATI Radeon 9600 AIW 128
2 NEC Dual Layer DVDR/Rw-+
Creative 5.1 Surround Sound
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
19'' KDS Monitor x 1024x768
DSL
(Stock speeds for all temps below)

OK.. Here is the deal.. I started out when I made this PC a few months ago with a spire aluminum heatsink. Using PC Alert 4 my temps were around 53C idle and 65C load.
I didn't like that. I don't feel comfortable OC'ing with stock speeds already that high.
Thus, I got a Swiftech MCX6400-V Heatsink and stuck a Vantec Tornado fan on it.
LOUD. (sounds like a jet landing always) Temps = 52C idle and 59-60C load

I said WTF and got very weary of all this. sunk 225 bucks into the Thermaltake Aquarius III and downloaded MBM5. now... using MBM5 my temp with the Aquarius is 48-50C idle and around mid-50's load. When I look at PC Alert.. it is unchanged from the swiftech HS.

but get this... the temp sensor on the Aquarius is showing 26.5C Idle and around 30C load.

oh yeah room temp has been consistantly around 70F during all.

WTF? any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
M

MerryMortician

yep.

latest bios and I have a wind tunnel in my case. my case temps have consistantly stayed in the high 20s to low 30C range.

d00kie

Registered
MerryMortician said:
latest bios and I have a wind tunnel in my case. my case temps have consistantly stayed in the high 20s to low 30C range.

Well, it looks like it's your mobo is reading temperatures incorrectly. Only other thing I can think of is improperly seated heatsink but since you said you tried three heatsinks, I highly doubt that you would have msaligned the heatsinks three times :D