• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling MX mem with peltier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MiracleMan

Yes, I'm thinking in overkill!
I have an idle 85W peltier, and I'm thinking in use it to freeze my Hercules Prophet II MX mem (or both core and mem). Someone tryed something like this before? Any risks with the agp slot? And about the benefits in o/cing it? Pls, help me to oc my vid, and/or find a job to my peltier! Loot!

No use cooling the memory modules -many have tried. Core? Should go pretty high even with the stock heatsink AND no fan -but useless unless your memory is fast enough, which brings us back to square one: No use!

Hey, why not use your peltier in some other funky project like a air chiller?

I think the above statements are right on. Memory chips have a physical limitation that Cores and CPU's don't have...they simply reach their physical limit and extra cooling becomes fruitless to the cause....known as "the point of diminishing returns".

I have to admit...you'd have one really nice looking card...but you might just be better off saving your money for something w/ DDR memory...or the next "wave" of new cards.

Okie guys... you taked the point... so, any tips (no cpu or water cooling, plz) to what to do with this poor idle Leufkens 85W peltier?
My Duron laugh at it, and my A7V wouldnt take care of chipset cooling... Hmm, so any ideas or just go to ebay?

You need a heater somewhere? Going to be winter soon. Peltiers are better at heating than cooling and you can just put big heatsinks (bigger on the hot side) for this purpose...

Can you cool a proccessor with just a peltier (no hsf?) The one I have now is kind of noisy. Also, how does a peltier work?

terisk (Jul 09, 2001 05:37 p.m.):
Can you cool a proccessor with just a peltier (no hsf?) The one I have now is kind of noisy. Also, how does a peltier work?

Basically, peltiers worl by having P and N-type semiconductor materials electrically wired in series 'suck' heat due to the action of the movement of charge carriers (electrons and holes) from one pole to the next. The charge carriers carry the thermal energy. This is a kind of 'forced' cooling, very much like in a refridgeration cycle where heat transfer doesn't just rely on the natural formation of a temperature difference. And because it's 'forced', one side (of the peltier) will continually get hotter wil the other will get colder. This difference or gradient in temperature widthwise across the peltier will continue increasing unless an external heat flows *through* it -that would be from a hot CPU to, say, a waterblock. If there are no heat sources and heat sinks, the peltier will continuously cool itself locally until one side is hot enough to melt the internal soldering of the peltier (can you say short-circuit?) and by this time your perltier is screwed. Therefore, you MUST use a HSF or waterblock in conjuction with a peltier.

Back