• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Nightmare..... Need Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

longneck122

Registered
I recently bought an alienware area-51 which i gutted and upgraded. I took the components i removed and decided to build a media center pc. I chose an Antec Aria case for its size and reviews. I install everything and did the best to clean up wiring mess. My problem is that the cpu runs idle about about 52 degrees and over 60 at load!! :eek: my cpu fan is so loud i can't hear the tv! I watched it hit 4400 rpm the other day. I've read a bunch about ppl using aftermarket cpu coolers as i am using stock, but most are running socket 478... I don't have that much room. My stock intel heatsink barely fits. :confused: here are my specs:

ASUS P5GD1-VM MOBO
Intel Pentium 4 520J LGA775 processor
2x256 dual channel ram
diamond stealth s60 vid card
antec aria matx case
stock antec psu

any low cost ideas needed. I want my temps in the low 40's. If I can't I will sell this setup, though i would hate to as it boots up alienware logo, and has all the alienware themes and such. Hopefully someone has experience with this case and processor??!!! :shrug:

Ven0m

There are lots of heatsinks that will offer you better cooling at lower noise than stock, but it's hard to tell if one fits you case. Pics would help.

Personally I'd recommend Scythe Ninja / Thermaltake Sonic Tower / Thermalright SI-120 / Thermaltake Big Typhoon, but these are rather huge... Another option might be Thermalright XP-90C. There are also other good coolers, but it would be easier to recommend anything after seeing how your computer looks inside.

OP
L

longneck122

Registered
my cpu fan is half covered by my psu. There is only about 1cm space between the top of my cpu cooler and the bottom of the psu... so I will have to use something damn close to stock height.

Ankun

or if it lines up well you could take the fan out of your PSU and replace it with something better and put a heatsink in without a fan (XP-90C maybe..) then use the more powerful PSU fan as your CPU fan.

DvBoard

sounds like you need to move the PSU for better cooling cause it's sucking in the hot air from your PSU driving up the temp.

Time4aMassiveOC

xp-90c will fit any motherboard on top of that its a very high quality heatsink. if some of those other big ones fit id recommend those and a high quality quiet 120mm fan, however you are concerned so the xp-90c is a sure bet, lga775(buy 5$ adapter) or 478

i dunno about your powersupply position problem tho..

dfrost

A Zalman CNPS 7000 AlCu might fit - fairly low profile. The Zalman fan is much quieter then the stock HSF and gives decent cooling. It can be modified by fitting a quieter fan, although temps usually go up slightly. The all copper version doesn't cool noticeably better.

OP
L

longneck122

Registered
yes it has AS5 on it now... that's all i use. I will check on the zalman 7000, but the xp-90c is too large. I can't move the PSU... nowhere else to put it. I can change out the wack sorry fan in the PSU, but it will give me a fan error everytime i boot as it is integrated weird.

OP
L

longneck122

Registered
the zalman 7000 looks too large, but maybe not. It says it works on a 478, but not a 775. Would anyone be interested in undertaking this project for me??? :shrug: I could pay or trade parts.... I have a lot of stuff i bought for my comp i didn't use and such... I would want a professional looking job, and I'm trying to stay away from noise and modding fans into the sides if possible..... anyone interested please post reply and i will contact. I am just no good at cosmetics. lol :santa2:

Rogue_weasel

Registered
You might try 1 or 2 cheap PCI-slot blower exhausts, just to increase airflow... Not likely to do much but at least they're cheap... I don't really see any other way to add cooling to that case without cutting.

d94

$30 a phone
lol!
i was goin to say..i used to have that case and the zalman did an awsome job cooling my 3.2c :)
but it all depends on the mobo n' stuff too

now that the system is sold your going to build a new one right?! :D