• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling north bridge chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dem1an

anyone watercooling their north bridge chip? what's a good air cooler for this task? especially for a iwill kk266 thanks.

Hi!

Me myself - I don't watercool it, but I use small greeny heatsink and a fan on it. You can use either 40 or 50mm fans. In my consideration, 50mm are better. Glue them with superglue and that's all :)))

CU

I don't know about the KT266 but a CoolerMaster socket A HSF fits on the Abit KT7 series.

dangerden makes a northbridge cooler, but there is not a clip to hold it on and i don't trust epoxy enough to hold it on in a tower. a hsf should be more than enough. Even an older P75 heatsink without han should be much more than enough.

dunno260 (Apr 04, 2001 07:12 p.m.):
dangerden makes a northbridge cooler, but there is not a clip to hold it on and i don't trust epoxy enough to hold it on in a tower. .

You could probably rig something up since there are two holes for the fan on it (at least that's the case with my KT7)

Please, what kind of glue is right to fix on north bridge (Mobo I815E Pro) an old Pentium Hs+F?
Attack glue? and it's better paste artic silver II & glue?

It's the only way coz there's not holes on Mobo.
Thanks for your support :)

was wondering the same thing...was thinking maybe just a little high-temp silicon in the corners with normal artic silver2 everywhere else...don't trust me on that tho. looking into it myself.

As you are only going to do this once, Artic Silver's epoxy would be best. You might as well do it right the first time.

Two ways that I know to go with, then. The traditional method of using straight Arctic Silver paste on all but the very tips of the four corners of the chip, and then putting epoxy there, or I have heard that you can "adjust" the holding power of AS epoxy my diluting it with a percentage of straight AS. What that percentage might be for the degree of holding power you want, I couldn't tell you. Just keep it strong enough not to fall off.

would superglue in the corners work? or would this still be too strong of a bond?

dem1an (Apr 05, 2001 09:58 a.m.):
would superglue in the corners work? or would this still be too strong of a bond?

In Chuck's article on the front page, he talks about using Arctic Silver with Elmer's glue(!), to make it easier to remove later. Worth a try?

I've found that mixing heatsink compound and superglue together makes some damn fine glue for such applications, it is however vey very perminent.

i have mixed 1 part arctic silver epoxy to 2 parts arctic silver and it is a very strong bond, but to get it off is another thing. Here is what works,

1) put your mobo in a plastic bag and make sure it is sealed real good, I mean REAL good.
2) Put it in your freezer, YES I did say freezer.
3) pull it out in about 2 hours, the epoxy is very brittle when frozen, the waterblock will come right off with a slight twist
4) put a big fan blowing on your mobo just to be certain that there will be no condensation as it "thaws"
5) Use a straight edged razor to scrape off the remaining epoxy if any is left on the chip

hope this helps, it has worked for me!

I think the blue orb from thermaltake will do the job on my KT7 cos there are holes for the screws.I is much better than the stock heat sink and fan that comes with the board.The blue orb has some kind of double sided sticky tape for the chipsets w/o the holes for the screws.

Back