• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling Radeon 7200 lol.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

Popped the HS off of my Radeon 7200. Looking to regain my #1 3dmark score (well shatter the current #1 score in to pieces (tiny pieces)). Anyhow, I was thinking of just slapping a zalman passive on it. What are your thoughts? Micro fins would be nicer I guess. Want a little overkill, but not overly overkill. MAX size (after modding if need be) can be about 46mm x 57mm.

The stock heatsink has a fan and very little surface area. The sink itself is made of steel or something gay. Ohh, and the epoxy... looks like wood glue or from a hot glur gun... lol (yellowish). Anything will be an impovment, but I'm only doing it once and better overkill than coming up short.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
That's prety small........I'm thinking since you have watercooling that a block and pelt would be nice.

OP
DeathONator

DeathONator

Lol, that would be really nice, but I don't think it needs it, and I don't feel like rubber banding, epoxying, or clipping a big waterblock on it.

Anyway to volt mod these :) ?

R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3

i have that same card, i put passive cooling on it and it was unstable, restarted the computer just from leaving the comp on, but i only used small aluminum sinks, not a zalman

i put the same passive cooling on my geforce2-gtsv and the geforce is fine even when playing games and all

i just screwed a fan onto the heatsink, hope it'll be stable, but watch out - the radeon 7200 vivo 64mb needs good cooling unlike a lot of older cards

JDXNC

I have a Radeon 7000 and a 7200, and the 7200 does run hotter, the 7000 is passivley cooled and runs quite hapily, but the 7200 does need the fan, although the stock fan on it is pretty crappy, prolly couldn't blow out a candle.

OP
DeathONator

DeathONator

Strange... I would have thought the zalman would be plenty comparing it to the piece of crap that's on it now. What specific heatsink do you think will work? Fanless is a plus.

EDIT: did abit of lappping on the core. And will be using artic silver thermal epoxy.

gustav

this would work nicely on that 7200. its meant for chipsets on high performance boards, and is just under your max dimensions by a few mm's. i suggested this one because its for an amd board, and amd chipsets have to screw in like a amd cpu heatsink or a video card heatsink, unlike intel's chipset heatsinks that have those little hooks, however if the pentium version with the hooks would be better for this mod, then sidewinders has that too. its not cheap, but it should work quite nicely.

Last edited:
OP
DeathONator

DeathONator

My 7200 dosn't have any mounting holes at all. It will have to be epoxied. Do you think epoxy will have any trouble keep that thing on there? Expensive is right.

@md0Cer

I've heard that some people just mix some super glue with their AS or OCZ or shin etsu thermal compound. Not sure if that works though.

gustav

well lets see, its 8.4 oz or 238 g. i dont know if any epoxy will hold that on, thats quite heavy. you may have to use epoxy and some other method of holding it down if you chose that swiftech heatsink.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
You could also try using just about any 1U CPU heatsink. I used a skived fin copper heatsink on my 9500, and it works quite well.