• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling the ambient temperatures inside my case, Safety Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snowbiz

Registered
I have my CPU being cooled by my liquid cooling loop. The rest of my system is currently not attached to my cooling loop. (This is hypothetical right now but I do have the means to make it a reality, Just want to check on a few things first)

If I cool the ambient temp inside of my computer case down to very low temperatures, will the reverse happen with condensation like when you use a TEC cooler on your cpu or a phase change on your cpu without proper insulation.

So, Cool the ambient temps within the Computer case to (lets just pick a number below ambient air temp of the room) 5 degrees Celsius. Since the average temps of my GPU's is around 45 degrees Celsius when idle, will the 40 degree temp difference between the hot graphics card and the cool case cause condensation?

I know if does when you have a very cold component in a hot case, but what about a very hot component in a very cold case?
(GPU's taken into consideration but will this also be the same with the motherboard, ram and other non water cooled components?)
Thanks guys!

if you sealed the case completely i mean like caulk it and had no outside air getting in then nothing might happen, but if outside air gets in you would get condensation on your case if it was cold enough. but you have to get it pretty cold. may i ask why you are thinking about doing this?

I've already answered that one for you Snowbiz.

Here.

Have you ever seen anybody's glasses fog up when they walk outside? It only happens when they walk inside. Reducing ambient temps can only help. Again, keep in mind there is a limit that other components will no longer work. i.e. HDD's.

Yea I'm more or less just thinking of this as an experiment. I'm going to weight until I can do my test bench setup and possibly create a sealed box around it with acrylic sheets or something.... Just trying to have some fun ;) I actually have a great idea for condensation but it's going to take some time before I have spare cash to throw at it..

Hypothetically if I was to buy something like this
image.jpg
image.jpg
If I put my test bench inside of the chamber, (only the components that can actually function in the vacuum, so hdd's etc can reside outside of the chamber and have a sealed port in the chamber itself to run wires through...
You would also have to drill some holes to run the tubing in for the water cooling.
Then adding something like a chiller to the cooling loop (resevoir and pump also outside as well as radiator etc...) then the water flowing in could be as cold as u want and since its a vacuum (so no air..no moisture) it would be impossible for condensation to form inside the chamber.

Again just thinking hypothetically right now because I don't have the cash to throw at something that may not work... But I'm curious how this would actually function.

Note: again I'm not planning on trying this now, just thinking of something that would be fun to try ;)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating

I love a great experement. But In my opinion it's a bit of overkill. For condensation you just need to keep the water from the circuitry. A simple conformal coating is really the industry standard. People use kneadable art erasers, liquid electrical tape or spray on lacquer.

For all the open connections, i.e. PCIe, CPU socket, ram slots, you can use dielectric grease or vaseline.

Much much cheaper and known to work. If done properly your rig could look like this. :)

evgadualxeonln2-540x540.png

Back