• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling-The Definitive Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have no experience with that particular heatsink, so I'm not sure whether it is satifactorily lapped. However if they say it is and it looks to be ok, ie when you run your nail over it its smooth then that should be ok.

M_N

Gee, i knew it was a bad idea to join these forums! Makes me worrying about things i havent even thought of before! Will i turn into a nerd one day? :rolleyes: :D

I took the heatsink out again and took a closer look. Actually i can see some "lines" there, which are circular around a certain spot. But i couldnt feel them with my thumbnail, the surface seems to be totaly flat! :clap:

""""Now running in Parallel would be much more efficient.
So Y-Split > (1st Pipe = CPU/> 2nd Pipe = GPU) > Y-Split to connect them back together.

The reason for this is every component (CPU and GPU alike) are getting fresh water instead of getting the heated water from the other component. However the downside of this is requiring a pump of 300GPH or better and also you NEED 3/8th fittings otherwise there will be hardly any H20.
Now if you also have a Northbridge to cool simply put it in Series BEFORE THE GPU, as they don’t generate as much heat as the GPU your GPU won’t be heated up much (if at all), whereas if the GPU was first in series the Northbridge would be heated up.""""

Ok reading this kinda confused me but now i think I have it, are you talking about using 3/8" tube just for the split sections? So the pipe connecting to the pump is 1/2", then after the Y you switch to 3/8" to conserve most of the water flow and then after the next Y going back to 1/2"?

Or are you just saying to use nothing but 3/8? I guess it would be better to have 1/4" for the sections split by the Y for a perfect balance, but I dont know if it exists.

Anyways if your not talking about what I said in the first paragrph I think it would be a good setup, you would still reduce flow in the parallel section but not as much as if the tube was the same size all around, make sense?

Please help me here, thanks alot!

Tim

Last edited:
I have been running

1. Water blocks on CPU and GPU
2. a submersible (small) pump
3. And a 10 gallon Aquarium

Thats it! why run a radiator and a noisy fan? This set-up is quite. The pump runs 24/7 and draws 11-13 watts. I had aquariums for years and these pumps have never failed .

I think to get any affective result in the "lapping" that you guys do, you will have to use a much finer grit than 600. My dad is a metalogropher, and I told him how you guys do that, and he said it wouldnt help much at all, unless it was more like >1000 grit paper. He lapps various metals at work, and can get any metal to a mirror finish. I think I may have him take in my heatsink.

Big heat problem with Prescott 3.4E

Hi guys, First I want to congratulate Maximus Nickus for this exelent guide.

Here is my problem, I have a Prescott 3.4E FSB 800 Socket 478. Using Artic Silver 5 (not the defalt intel compound) With default Intel HSF. My unload Temp is 52C :eek: and my Load temp reaches 79C :mad: , Big trubble!. Twise I changed the thermal compound but is placed as specs. I'm ordering a THERMALRIGHT XP-90 with a 90mm 78CFM 4000RPM fan, to deal with the heat problem! I think I'm doing right. But I don't want to make a big mistake :bang head

I'm adding my PC conf to help to your evaluation:
Prescott 3.4E FSB 800 Socket 478
Mobo Intel D865
1Gb Kingston DDR 400 Ram
ATI All-In-Wonder 9800Pro
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
PSU 550Watts.

Attached photos to see fan locations.

Thanks

Attachments

• Intakes.JPG
    Intakes.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Exhaust.JPG
    Exhaust.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 164
Great Post lots of great info

Maximus Nickus
Just wanted to say GREAT post :) and it was a great help. I've just started reading these forums (1st post) and am amazed with the amount of great knowledge. In the works on building a new system and just now started thinking of overclocking my "old" system once my new one is up and running. Would hate to be left on the sidelines with out a computer if I did something wrong :bang head In a few weeks hopefully my parts will begin to arrive and I'm sure I'll have some questions. After all I'm an old dog trying to learn some new tricks :p

Ale said:
Hi guys, First I want to congratulate Maximus Nickus for this exelent guide.

Here is my problem, I have a Prescott 3.4E FSB 800 Socket 478. Using Artic Silver 5 (not the defalt intel compound) With default Intel HSF. My unload Temp is 52C :eek: and my Load temp reaches 79C :mad: , Big trubble!. Twise I changed the thermal compound but is placed as specs. I'm ordering a THERMALRIGHT XP-90 with a 90mm 78CFM 4000RPM fan, to deal with the heat problem! I think I'm doing right. But I don't want to make a big mistake :bang head

~clip~ (edit)
Thanks
You might consider the xp120 and a 92 to 120mm exhaust fan. The problem with those stock hsfs is that they blow all that hot:mad: air at the mobo which just bounces around the case ans gets sucked back in several times until it finally escapes your rig.

Im new to this water cooling business.... This place has been very helpful to me. I will be installing my system in @ a week.

Hey, everything so far has been very helpful. But I bought these, http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1089089&Tab=0&NoMapp=0
couple days ago. If you don't want to click on the link.

Specifications

* Fan Size: 80x80x25 mm
* Fan Speed: 2000 RPM
* Airflow: 21.5 CFM
* Static Pressure: 0.065 in/H2O
* Noise: 20.3 dBA
* Rated Voltage: 12V DC
* Power Consumption: 1.20 W
* Bearing Type: Ball
But these fans don't blow air worth ****. Is it just me, or those specs don't look too good? I put two in front and on in back.

Thanks.

well, those fans are made to look good AFAIK. They push very little air and are fairly quiet from those specs. For 9 a peice thats a crappy deal IMO, but now you have learned you lesson, always look closely before you buy.

hi'
reading all this, I finaly got my solution for this little overheating ...
I'll put a 80mm on the top for exhaust, and a side 92mm directed to cpu/gpu and this will improve the general temp and of course my cpu will feel better :)

also, a bit of lapping won't do bad ;)

thanks for all good work and help with these stickies :)

i686

is this enough fans to keep me cool?

i had just bought a Logisys Pre-Assembled Acrylic Yin Yang Case - Blue and it comes with 3 case fans...im running an amd 64 4000+ w/ xp90c thermalsolutions heat sink with a 92mm vantec tornado running full speed, 2 geforce 7800 gt in sli, i have an ultra xfintiy 600 watt psu, a raptor 74g hd, any suggestions before i blow smoke into the empty case to see the airflow

should there be more air leaving quickly from the case or should their be a tornado cloud in there?

Hey Maximus Nickus,

Thanks alot for the great tutorial. I now know how to properly place fans in my case, and aswell, put together a water cooled pc. I am looking forward to buying my first group of parts for my new pc case. Thanks again.

Haven't seen anything in the forums concerning this subject, so here's the question. In a liquid cooled system, how important is it to liquid cool your hard drives? Will there be a performance increase with them cooled? Or will it be negligible?

Back