• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling the PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matrix78

is there anything in it for me?? such as better performance or more stable reading on the different rails??

i ask because my Antec 450w has some pretty slow 92mm fans in it and at the exaust fan i can feel alot of heat comming out, in fack i think its hotter in there than anywhere else in my PC :) so i was wondering would i get any benefits from modding the PSU case to hold one of my extra 130CFM 120mm fans?? or would it just be a waste of time and do nothing for my system???

thanx!!

I don't think one of those fans would fit. There was an article on the front page where a guy replaced the 80mm and 92mm fans with more powerful ones.

mine has 2 fans one on the bottom an intake and one on the side the exaust, i would jsut replace the one on the bottom with the 120mm and mount it outside of the PSU i have alot of room in my case

PC_test.JPG

Matrix78 said:
mine has 2 fans one on the bottom an intake and one on the side the exaust, i would jsut replace the one on the bottom with the 120mm and mount it outside of the PSU i have alot of room in my case

PC_test.JPG
I don't think there's enough room to fit a 120mm fan under the PSU there. It'll run into the CPU socket. Let me track down that article I mentioned earlier; maybe it'll help.

i would move the PSU up into that void and the fan would be about where the PSU is now, but now i'm thinking it may be more trouble that it be worth

I can't imagine there would be much to gain from sticking anothing fan on a PSU. Sounds a bit too dangerous for my liking. Also, there are some things you just don't need to cool.

Say, Jawhawk, which hall are you in?

RangerJoe said:
the psu fans are made to keep the psu cool....and to not much much noise...it would be a waste of time and money to spend it on something that wouldnt gain anything from putting new stuff in...forget about it, put more holes in your case...like me!!

http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/1102/casefull2(Large).jpg

and manage to make it look butt ugly as possbile... like him! :D

Crazy Jayhawk said:
That grand brick edifice that is Battenfeld Scholarship Hall.

cool. I've got some friends in uh.. Orin? Oden? (whatever the nice new one is.) Hashinger and a very nice girl in McCollum.

Last edited:
Back