• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling via outdoor temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dr_Pepper_Sk8r

Registered
Hey I have always wondered if it would be a good idea to create or use some sort of duct to make a tunnel from the front of my fans on my antec 1200 to an opening outside of the house. My reason for this is to achieve a colder temperature based on the temp outside of the house, of course i would would make some sort of drip loop and filter at the point of access into the house to prevent any foreign objects and liquids from entering my pc. Has anyone ever thought or even tried this? I am looking for some feedback on this idea and whether or not you think it would be a good idea. :santa2:

Yupyup, been done a few times around here, search for "window duct" (no " " marks) and you should find some.
It works quite well. Don't get the HDD below 32*f/0*c though, they don't appreciate it much.

Outside or outdoor would be my search term.
Alternatively since most people mention condensation you could search for that, you'd end up with all the water chiller threads too though.

Very few people do it on a 24/7 basis, but i know of at least two that have posted their setup here. One even built an entire airbox for the computer ducted to the window, that was fairly recently.

Try searching the cooling section for "window", too.

Yupyup, been done a few times around here, search for "window duct" (no " " marks) and you should find some.
It works quite well. Don't get the HDD below 32*f/0*c though, they don't appreciate it much.

Lol, i can hear the sound of the heads scraping ice of the disk already!

Yeah been done a lot, during the summer people duct their AC units to help Overclock further :)

This is my early winter water cooling setup. Gets CPU socket temp down in hte single digits (C) on a 4.6+ GHz i7

th_wc001.jpg

yep. i'm currently doing it.....make sure whatever ducting is going out is waterproof... to keep out excessive cold, i have made a cut out cardboard spacer covered in clear duct tape, so only the air going in the duct enters the room. my first set up wasnt water proof, and it crumpled..lesson learned. make sure your ducting is rather long to avoid moisture problems. if you can, use a filter at the end of the duct.

Back