• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling with N2 or Dry Ice? I have N2 and dry ice what next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
E

el

I can "borrow" about a liter of N2 at a time from work. My question is how and where does one get information about supercooling and perphaps the use of dry ice in cooling since I can get plenty of dry ice.

Snuffleuppigus

el (Mar 14, 2001 08:37 a.m.):
I can "borrow" about a liter of N2 at a time from work. My question is how and where does one get information about supercooling and perphaps the use of dry ice in cooling since I can get plenty of dry ice.

between the two, i would use dry ice. n2 has not had good results from the few sites i have read using it.

Phil

why don't you melt thr dry ice and make a water cooling setup that won't be a risk incase of leeks?

LimeyGreg

Hoot - don't think he has NO2 - It's Nitrogen only, I don't think he'll get the same effect - just frozen lungs ???

Now if N2 reacts with the CO2 to give NO2 that's a whole different deal - but I've a feeling there won't be a reaction :(

Nagorak

I really think you should stay away from using N2 in your computer... you're just running the risk of snapping off a frozen finger or two. If you really want to super cool, either set up a TEC, or buy one of those refridgeration deals.

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
Assuming you were going to dispense the N2 on a one way trip to the HS, I would be worried about suffocating unless the room is well ventilated. Still it would be neat to experiment with on a temporary basis in the realm of cryogenics.

Hoot

OP
E

el

Re: Phil I hope you are kidding when you say melt the dry ice because it is solid and when you warm it up it sublimes. read no liquid phase.

Re: Hoot If I had NO2 I wouldn't be doing anything but laughing my *** off! I was talking about liquid Nitrogen. LOL if you were being silly. Also Air is like 98% Nitrogen anyhow so the danger of 1 gallon is nothing as far as suffication. frostbite is a whole nuther danger issue that is serious.

LimeyGreg: Thank you for the link and if N2 and CO2 mixed to make NO2 at room temp then the world would be at peace. Air 98% N2 and carbon dioxide from respiration=world peace :¬)

thanks I think I am going to stay away from N2 but you never know what your chip can to till you try.

Phil

el (Mar 16, 2001 03:41 p.m.):
Re: Phil I hope you are kidding when you say melt the dry ice because it is solid and when you warm it up it sublimes. read no liquid phase.

No I actually think that when you melt dry ice you get water that isn't wet, guess thats why all my mates call me remeadial phil

emir

Also Air is like 98% Nitrogen anyhow so the danger of 1 gallon is nothing as far as suffication.....

actually its around 75%, i believe that breathing air with over 80% Nitrogen is not that good for a lungs....