• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snwman

Registered
alrite, Im new to this. I currently am running a PIII 800EB @ 887mhz with only air cooling at 24* C. It will run at 930mhz and only a few degree's higher but for some reason it will not download files that is my only problem. I was wanting to reach for 1 ghz but what kind of cooling would I need? some links would be helpful thanks

I don't think your downloading problem has anything to do with cooling because it seems like your problem is your pci bus.

Usually, the pci bus runs at 33mhz. Since Intel processors cannot be unlocked you have to increase the main fsb. This increases the pci bus as well.

I'm just guessing but maybe your nic/modem can't handle a speed that high.

I'm not too familiar with Intel processor overclocking (hehe AMD rules :)).

hrmm, well im running an intel Pro 100+ NIC, the strange thing is that everything else works at 930 but I cant download files. yet webpages will still load.

Welcome to the forums.
Are you running stock cooling or an aftermarket HSF? Using thermal paste? Even though 24C isn't a bad temp, you might be able to bump the voltage up a tad and get a little more stability with better cooling. BTW, even though everything appears to be functioning correctly, doesn't necessarily make it so.

well today I got bored so I picked up something from the local computer store... a koolance case, I got a fair deal on it i think. my cpu temp is around 55* f now so im not afraid to bump up the voltage a little bit and see how it does.

snwman said:
hrmm, well im running an intel Pro 100+ NIC, the strange thing is that everything else works at 930 but I cant download files. yet webpages will still load.

Intel network chips hate overclocked PCI busses. heres a link to show some of the better cards for overclocking. I ave a D-Link ($15) that doesnt seem to mind anything upwards of 41Mhz (never gone higher..so maybe it would).

http://www.pcstats.com/articleviewredirect.cfm?articleid=937&page=2

Hope that helps.

Josh

Back