• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper AND Aluminum Water system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lebe0024

I have a Copper CPU block, Radiator, and harddrive cooler.

Is it OK to get an aluminum videocard blocK? It's anodized, but will it cause corrosion?

The Overclocker

i am sure that if you used the search function then you would have found many articles detailing the same thing.

but i will go over it again, it is fine as long as you do these:

1. use distilled water -this minimises the risk of corosion because it is more pure then tap water (less minerals ect.)

2. use an watter additive that reduced corosion, the best one is water wetter but purple ice is an alternate is you have a sensitive nose (water wetter smells BAD)

OP
lebe0024

lebe0024

I tried searching, but searching for aluminum AND copper doesn't help.

The block is anodized. What does that mean? does it help?

Tecumseh

lebe0024 said:
I tried searching, but searching for aluminum AND copper doesn't help.

The block is anodized. What does that mean? does it help?

It's a hydrated aluminum oxide layer. If done right it would
prevent corrosion. Looks good and comes in colors, too.

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
I would have a difficult time searching for this one and I know what I am looking for.

I am not going to claim to be an expert, but I know a few things.
Yes, you can run different metals in the same system, but they will corrode each other, even anodized. The additives and coatings will slow the process, but eventually, maybe years later, it will corrode. With proper maintenance, cleaning, changing fluids often and using additives, you may be able to use that setup for many years with no problem. If you know you are not going to give the setup that level of attention I would get a matching block.

OP
lebe0024

lebe0024

Wow, that's really nice of you. I hope you don't say "April Fools". Thanks for the help. (This is my first WC system, and I already popped off some resistors with the mounting hardware! CRAP).

michael westen

lebe0024 said:
I have a Copper CPU block, Radiator, and harddrive cooler.

Is it OK to get an aluminum videocard blocK? It's anodized, but will it cause corrosion?

anodized aluminum is oly on the out site and you have to anodized it again if you have bin milling it if i am corect

a other way to prevent currosion is connecting all the block's pump and radiator whit a wire so you wont have any electrical (dont no the precies english word for it wat its calld) diverens between them and if you wane do it perfect place a piece of zink in ore system and also conect that one to the wire that one will go first then :D

greeting michael

f155mph

I think Michael is correct. Most blocks are only anodized on the outside for looks. So if the inside is not anodized there would be no corrosion protection. The best protection I think is to use anti-freeze, but that will lower the heat transfer effiency of water.

michael westen

f155mph said:
I think Michael is correct. Most blocks are only anodized on the outside for looks. So if the inside is not anodized there would be no corrosion protection. The best protection I think is to use anti-freeze, but that will lower the heat transfer effiency of water.

yeah that will work but think that waterwetter (redlineoil) will work beter gives you also beter heat transfer and will give you beter protection
greetings michael

CSaddict

Michael is speaking of a cathode. It's basically a sacrificial piece of metal. It has to do with charged electrons and such so lets not get into the specifics, but they do work. Magnesium is good as a cathodic item.

Tecumseh

The sacrificial piece of metal is always the anode.

I think with Water Wetter there will be little corrosion,
if any.