• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper Frenzy? - less than thrilling results with Glaciator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yomama

So far my new Glaciator is performing below expectations. I am using it on a PIII 700@[email protected] with AS and it's at 45C with 34C board temp.

Previously a modified Alpha PEP with 27CFM GW fan brought temps down to 31/41. And A GW WBK38 was at least another 3C colder.

Copper is good at retaining heat, I am wondering whether the Glaciator is just heating up, and not letting go fast enough of the heat.

I'll try some more stuff, but for $40 Iam not happy so far...:(

Yo

that doesn't sound right? what is you case ambient temp and what case cooling do you have.
It is not exactly true about copper holding the heat in more, as head condictivity is a two way thing, it's more to do with how well copper absorbs the heat in the first place, it absorbs more heat than aluminium so obvioulsy gets warmer and a fan that might keep aluminium cool won't keep the warmer copper quite as cool, and warm copper isn't as good at absorbing heat as cold aluminium. It sounds either like you haveit on wrong or poor case cooling as it should only be 5-10oC above your case ambient temp, closer to 5oC above it.

Does your motherboard read the internal diode in the CPU or does it rely on an external thermistor? The reason I ask is this came up on another forum. Despite showing higher temps, the CPU would overclock higher with the Glaciator.

Colin (Jun 15, 2001 07:40 p.m.):
Does your motherboard read the internal diode in the CPU or does it rely on an external thermistor? The reason I ask is this came up on another forum. Despite showing higher temps, the CPU would overclock higher with the Glaciator.

Good point. This is an ASUS CUSL2 board, which as far as I know reads the CPU diode temp. OTOH as you are pointing out that other systems o/c higher, I can say that despite the higher temps the system seems stable. I'll try o/cing tomorrow.

Yo

Phil (Jun 15, 2001 05:53 p.m.):
that doesn't sound right? what is you case ambient temp and what case cooling do you have.
It is not exactly true about copper holding the heat in more, as head condictivity is a two way thing, it's more to do with how well copper absorbs the heat in the first place, it absorbs more heat than aluminium so obvioulsy gets warmer and a fan that might keep aluminium cool won't keep the warmer copper quite as cool, and warm copper isn't as good at absorbing heat as cold aluminium. It sounds either like you haveit on wrong or poor case cooling as it should only be 5-10oC above your case ambient temp, closer to 5oC above it.

Ambient temp is 23C, Case temp went from 31C to 35C. Likely because the heatsink is hotter, but the fan does not dissipate the heat

i think Colin is right. Work on lowering the case temp and see what happens. I am very interested in this.

With 22C case temp and Artic Silver paste on both heatsinks I get these MBM idle temps:

Alum Vantec 62540D w/ Delta 7K fan: 32C
Alum Vantec 62540D w/ 80mm Sunon fan: 36C
Copper Glaciator w/permanent fan: 36C

Full load temps:
Vantec 7K: 35C
Vantec 80mm: 38C
Glaciator: 38C

Maybe not worth the xtra bucks and weight. I'd be interested in more reports

I too am less than thrilled with my results.
1.2G AXIA @ 1466 on Iwill KK-266 @1.85v.

Readings after 15 mins of CPU warming utility.
22' C ambient, 29' C MB, 48' C CPU.

Readings from Thermoengine w/ Delta 30 cfm fan (not 7K model). after 15 mins.
23' C ambient, 30' C MB, 42' C CPU

I expected much better performance from the Glaciator! With a 18 C/W should be around 41' C not 48' C. I have great case cooling with 4 Sunon 80mm 42 cfm fans so that's not the problem. I applied the AS2 correctly too. Any idea why my performance is so bad??

Some possible explanations in this thread

Also, on the front page there is a comment that MBM will show hotter temps for the GlobalWin WBK38 and the Glaciator compared to other brands at the same actual temperature. Sounds strange but I guess that's what testing shows.

coolmojoe (Jun 16, 2001 10:53 p.m.):
Some possible explanations in this thread

Also, on the front page there is a comment that MBM will show hotter temps for the GlobalWin WBK38 and the Glaciator compared to other brands at the same actual temperature. Sounds strange but I guess that's what testing shows.

The observation that MBM show higher temps for certain heatsinks does not match my experience. In fact on my other system I had the Alpha PAL running at 44C, then switched to WBK and tepms dropped by 3C and another 2C after I installed an 80mm fan instaed of a 60mm 27CFM fan.

As for the Glaciator, it permits me to lower the voltage by 0.05 to 0.1! May be this is conincedence, but I am now running [email protected], whereas it needed 1.85 to 1.9 before. No success though taking it higher. System runs ok at 980, but is not 100% stable. Still temps are higher, even though I dropped the voltage.

I think that the glaciator sucks all the heat away from the chip alright, but it needs a stronger fan, and may be even a fan blowing fom front to back to get rid of the heat. This is where an all copper design has a disadvatage over a cooper aluminum design a la alpha.

So to that extent it may be a great "heat extratction" tool, but it will require additional fans (noise, cost effort) to really dissipate the heat.

Yo

Back