• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper or Aluminum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbag19

Registered
I am prepping to build a water block using a small fridge and all that goes with it. I have but one question:

Which material? Copper or Aluminum (Aluminium?!)

brodo

copper (if you can)

from what I have read here, and other places - charts and otherwise, copper is about 400,000% better for heat transfer. i would deal with the extra work for such a difference.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
copper works better than aluminum, but margionally, depending on your tools, but if you have large good tools, go with copper, but if you dont have much for tools or dont want to spend tons of extra time, go with aluminum, i think the plusses of al blocks outweigh plusses of copper blocks to an extent, except corosion,

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
no copepr isnt that much better, its AT MOST 2x better, but for this application its more like 15-20% better for heat trancefer

R.Rabbit

yeah if you have silver would be better, but not much, if i had any machining skills at all i'd make a block but i dont, :D:D
oh and if your seriosly thinking about silver pm silversinksam he prob has the most experience with it

OP
R

ratbag19

Registered
I have a situation. I live in Africa, and have looked everywhere, but can't find a suitable block of copper (or aluminum). Any ideas? I have though about melting some tubing down, but anybody know that the melting point is for copper? That would require some serious heat...

I suppose I could mill diamond with a lase-based tool, but I don't think that is gonna happen... :)

Pla

Copper is more conductive the Aluminum. It is also heavier.

Keep in mind that it would be best if all your parts are of 1 metal - to avoid corrosion (battery effect).

Silver is even better then copper, in fact it is the most heat/electricity conductive metal (yes, more then gold). It is expensive though...

Diamond isn't any good at all - it is not very conductive and it melts...

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
silver is not the material to machine, its tons worse than copper, and its pretty expencive...

TheGhengisKhan

BANNED TROLL -Per Silversinksam
yes, but silver has a considerably lower melting point, so making a mold, melting down, and pouring the silver into that mold would actually make for an easier block construction with some of the radical designs I've seen on the forums here. could be an Idea for the near future. (after I win the state Lottery that is :D )

brodo

a link

well I felt a little bad about posting what I did and not having anything to back it up... I was going on just what I have read.

so here is something else to read:
http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/tk/tks/tcon.html

now this states that copper is almost double what aluminum is and just a few ticks below silver. and it would appear that copper is even better than gold.

(I did not spend too much time with this - just quickly looking at the numbers, I am certian there are some of you out there that really know this stuff...so feel free to post some resource links!)

JML

"no copper isnt that much better, its AT MOST 2x better, but for this application its more like 15-20% better for heat trancefer"
- MaskedGeek

Ok, seeing as Copper has almost twice the heat transfer of aluminum, and according to maskedgeeks statement that it will prob will only perform 15-20% better (in this application), it stands to reason that silver, which heat transfer is SLIGHTLY higher than copper would yield a performance gain of less than 5%! so why the hell are we still talking about using silver!

I would focus on getting some aluminum, make your block with that, and if you really like it, make a final version in copper.