• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper reservoirs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

Is there such a thing? The reason I ask is because with the new setup, I want to put the radiator and the rez on the unfinished side of my basement since in the winter it gets down in the low 30's ambient temp on that side. It seems like a copper radiator would make more sense in a colder environment to help with the cooling. I may not be looking in the right places but I haven't seen any copper rez's. If they do exist, are they exceedingly expensive? Thanks in advance.

Wow copper res would help disppate heat from the water hehe. I need to get one of those but they ae ugly

OP
OCn00b

OCn00b

I won't be able to see it so looks don't matter to me, all I care about are cooler temps :)

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
You sure as well could make one, just get some copper sheet and your set. but what might work better is just copper tube. just lay it on the floor.

Jon

SysCrusher

I'v been trying to find one myself. I'v only seen one so far and it came with a kit. It had copper pipe running through the rez to help aid in cooling. If I can find the link again i'll post it.

Other than that. I might just build my own to fit my case just right.

OP
OCn00b

OCn00b

Building one isn't an option for me so I'll have to try to find one.

eobard

Give me a break Senior
Very nice idea, if I didn't live in an oven I'd be looking to get/make one for myself. :thup:

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
I just have my heatercore hanging in the basement. Nice cool temps year 'round. My reservior is a plastic electrical box at my desk above, so it doesn't gain heat into the water system.
Any piping that comes to the warmer sections of the house (computer room) should not be copper either, as that will absorb room heat and raise the water temps too (been there, done that, fixed it...pvc).
Also, to make longer runs, use 3/4" pvc to lessen the effects of drag on the water. My flow rate is pretty darned good, even running a cheap ViaAqua 1300.

I have copper sheet, and the skillz required, but I don't have time to play much. :(

eXCeSS

resthingy.JPG

would that be benificicial? or is it just another dumb idea?

Korndog

a little.. not worth the time/effort/money though
saw some guy transform his radiator into a res by drilling a hole on top and putting a cap. now thats good stuff

Xeese

Registered
Interesting to see a copper res. You could probably get a local machine shop to make a cube pretty cheap, then just add your own fins.

Korndog

Skiing Squirrel said:
If the rez was made out of copper, wouldn't it absorb the surrounding heat as well?
yea, but ambient temps are rarly warmer then water in ur system (unless you have it placed next to the sun, have a water chiller, or have your radiator outside)

Skiing Squirrel

I was taking the whole having the rez in the rig approuch. If you do that then it will be ineffective, but I guess putting it outside the case will make it somewhat cooler. Having in the rig would make it absorb the heat from the surround componants as well as having the warm water pumped in from the chip.

Korndog

whether it cools it or heats it up, it won't matter
its so insignificiant.
(considering the surface area of water and surface area of the copper transferring heat or removing heat and the airflow/pressure on the res)
if u look at some other topics about true res cooling, you'll see its only really effective when its a 15 gallon tank, a few feet under ground at around 10c or something.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
A copper reservior in a cooler place can help temps a bit, I don't doubt that. Adding tubing to the fan shroud might harm more than help as it's adding unnecesary length to the watersystem and helps to restrict flow (air and water, and especially when connected with a ton of elbow fittings :p ).

In my case, I had about 5 feet of copper tubing from the basement exposed to the air upstairs, and it raised my temps about 5C. You're talking about a 10C difference in ambient temps between the basement and the upstairs here. Replacing that tubing with pvc got me back down out of the 30's again, though the pvc had a larger ID.
That same thing should work in the reverse, the copper can shed heat in a cooler environment, so it would assist in getting cooler temps.
Put your pump in that res, and it might help shed the pump's wattage before the heatercore has to, giving you a net gain overall.

Though double heatercores (or a single large one) in the basement would benefit you more. It's all about getting the heat out of that water, and the heatercore is the best thing for that. A couple of single pass ones would be ideal.

Koooler King

A copper reservoir may or may not be worth the time & cost vs. benefits, but if you are inclined to do so, take a look at using larger diameter copper pipe. I've seen 2" or 3" diameter copper pipe used as drain lines in older homes ... must have been awfully expensive ... you just never see it used anymore in new construction, but I suppose plumbing supply places must still have to carry the stuff for repairs, etc.

If you're into round reservoirs, such a section of pipe, with appropriate end caps and fittings soldered on could be a DYI project without needing a machine shop. Then add fins, fans, etc. as you see fit. Good luck.

KK