• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

copy "windows files" from another windows 7 drive to fix starup on safe mode.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nfinity

copy "windows files" from another windows 7 drive to fix starup on safe mode.

I've noticed that my windows 7 OS has been often asking for check disk to run at startup. It never results in any errors/findings... but is annoying with the frequency of it. I've tried running sfc /scannow, tried running startup repair from my Windows 7 installation disk. I don't have a restore point prior to this problem to fix it. Something must be up. I've also noticed while trying to fix the problem, I can't boot into safe mode, it loads drivers looks close to be coming up and then just reboots before desktop appears, no BSOD or errors posted... tried full virus scans and with malware-bytes with nothing showing up. Really don't want to do a new finish install on this drive and deal with getting all my programs/settings back the way I want them.... I have a 2nd drive and from the same installation disk(on usb stick), thought of having a fresh copy of windows installed and then from a linux os copying over windows files to attempt to fix the problem.. Anyone tried this before or any advice in this or warnings attempting? While I do have Windows 10 on another drive, I'm really nostalgia of keeping this OS going.

O yes, forgot mention I did disable my overclock even though its been stable for over a year, just to make sure that wasn't it.

I was thinking it would be less time to avoid trying to get all my programs off and back onto a new fresh install and re-configuring everything.

I would suspect you have a failing disk. The chkdsk command checks for bad disk sectors and if it finds any it will try to move the data on that sector to a healthy sector if their are any left. But it looks like you have all SSD so I'm not sure chkdsk would apply. It's designed for spinners I believe.

I was thinking it would be less time to avoid trying to get all my programs off and back onto a new fresh install and re-configuring everything.
Most apps wont work if they are just copied over. There are registry entries and such youd be missing.

Reinstall from scratch is my take.

trents - Correct, I'm running only on SSDs. Yeah.. not sure if root problem is drive(really hope not) or just windows. The drive still performs well for being 75% full.

EarthDog - I was thinking of just copying over just critical Windows folders/files from a fresh clean install of windows 7. Thinking System32, SysWOW64, WinSxS and not sure if I should try Boot folder. I would make backups first. So from Linux OS, backup those critical folders on possible corrupt OS. Then copy new fresh installed one over from other disk.

...well, that's different than programs... ;)

I'd still fresh reinstall. Then perhaps take an image once you get it up and running so you can simply drop that image and go next time.

Since i'm doing the work of backing everything up, and a fresh install, may try this method of coming over good windows files from a clean install, just to see if it works.

Back