• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

copying ssd for upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

I was wondering if there is any software out there (preferably free) that will allow me to make a complete copy of a current ssd and move it over to a new one for the sake of upgrading. My main OS/game HDD has 3gb left which has put me in a bind with updating a few things and I need to run out and pick up a new one but it would be great if I could copy everything straight over rather than having to start fresh.

Thanks.

HankB

It's not clear what your present situation is and what you want to migrate to. You mention both SSD and HDD. Are you moving from an SSD + HDD to SSD alone?

Some SSDs come with codes to migrate disk contents from the existing drive to the new SSD. I tried using that to migrate from an HDD to SSD (Acronis) and had no luck. Others report good results with Acronis. One popular free option is Clonezilla.

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
if you are on windows 7 now- there is a function version of norton ghost on the Hirens 10.6 version of hirens boot disk