• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED core 2 quad q6700 shuts down in 20 secs- bios cpu temp says 0.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rocket777

See reply for solution.

I have an intel DG965WH M.B. and have been running fine with a core 2 duo e6420 for years.

I bought a used core 2 quad q6700 (off ebay - said they tested it and it was working) which is listed as compatible with my board (the highest speed quad for this MB). I re-flashed to the minimum bios revision required for this cpu as per the intel site. That works fine with my e6420 duo.

I can run the q6700 for about 20 or 30 seconds before it shuts down (power goes off). This gives me time to get into the hardware monitor page of the bios.

The first line in hardware monitoring reads

cpu die/package temperature 0.0

which is highly suspect (this reads correctly with my e6420 duo). Either my MB doesn't know how to read the temperature for this chip (I saw some posts here which indicate that one can get a temperature for each core on this cpu) or the chip is not sending this properly. The chip looks good, no pins/pads looking bad. The bios does recognize the processor name, that it's a quad and the bus speed.

The only other thing is power. I have a 430 watt PS. The hardware monitoring says the +12v is reading as 11.91. I wonder if that's a bit low for this higher performance chip. +5 and +3.3 are right on.

Oh, this intel board doesn't let me overclock so I'm not pushing it.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
was bad heat sink thermal contact

I've discovered that the temperature for the new cpu is now a margin number which when 0 means too hot. It's not a temperature for this cpu, though the MB still lists it as cpu temp and gives a number as degrees when its really a number that tells you how close to being too hot your cpu is.

I re-thermal-compounded the heat sink and it boots and everything now.

I was getting a thermal shutdown - the board beeps indicated this too, once I was able to look those up.

Back