• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 2 Quad temporary OC (Veterans Needed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Try disabling CPU Phase Control in your Green Power section of BIOS might help with the crashes when you stop a stress test.

I’ve been looking for a good 2x2 kit and the P45 Gigabyte board I’m using has not been a happy camper so far. So I’m kinda curious about the part # of the RAM you have in Slot 4, of the three DDR2 800 kits tried so far the JEDECs for 1.80v look like the RAM in slot 1 and all 2x2 kits I’ve looked at with all 5s or better timings have been 2.0v or better.

Johan45 is correct with the NB statement about voltage.

Last edited:
This saddens me that somebody would throw such a computer in the trash.

KVR800D2N6/2GB
KVR800D2N6/2GB
KVR800D2N5/2GB

i also have a KVR800D2N6/1GB which is as close too a matched set of 4 i could do

a Transcend is in slot 3 i have 2 that should match in a PC downstairs i just gotta check if someones ok with switching ram
and the GPU and ram and such is my own, i forget what was in it when it was tossed, wasnt GPU or RAM i dont think there was a HDD either just board CPU and case, so sad but not that sad, i know someone who found a Alienware Laptop in the trash once, i7, 2gb GPU, 4gb ram, 500gb HDD dont remember much else about it, few years ago at a electronics recyleing place. thats what saddens me

think i already turned CPU phase control off but i can double check

i tried manual timings, even when set to match memory Z my PC will not post

Attachments

• 15209226_1365064363512704_1170350876_n.jpg
    15209226_1365064363512704_1170350876_n.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 15135550_1365064383512702_1008696500_n.jpg
    15135550_1365064383512702_1008696500_n.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
my ram voltage is set to auto my ram takes 1.8, ive tried uping the voltage when i adjust timings, ive tried adjusting the main timings but every time it wont post and i have to reset the CMOS and redo all my settings (i took the picture as a example), so right now im just running the 3 sticks i have that match with 5GB

5GB doesn't indicate sticks that match. If you have 2 x2GB sticks that are the same stick with them and leave the ram at auto for now.

Last edited:
Have Giga P45 with a Yorkie setup, plus a couple sets of Patriot 2x2 800s will see what I can do with them, same maker but a bunch a time between manufacturing dates will be after turkey day though.

Thanks

im assuming they match cause, they have the same name KVR800D2N6/2GB
KVR800D2N6/1GB is the 3rd and KVR800D2N5/2GB is the 4th stick with faster timings that im going to put in
will test just setting the Cas since my rams running at 6-5-5-15 for some reason anyways

its not a matching kit but a 3rd stick thats the same besides its size

Last edited:
So my Ram issues should be solved, i guess the next big thing is the heat from the VRMs, any advice on that? either not going past a certain point/voltage, or a way to setup a heatsink? i mean they make tiny little heatsinks for Pis and ram and such, no idea if it would have any effect on a VRM (idiots shot in the dark) cause i think VRM heatsinks would have to be custom fit

something cheap like this, attached to individual VRMs
https://www.amazon.ca/Aluminum-Heat...79921305&sr=8-1&keywords=motherboard+heatsink

i know those arent the right fit, and ill have to wait till the 212 since the current heatsink covers the mosfets, to figure out sizes and such

Last edited:
i saw those i just didnt feel like spending 2.60 a piece, when i switch heatsinks im gonna look at how much space there is, might consider raspberry pi heatsinks or something, larger ones might be able to cover multiple.
https://www.amazon.ca/Aluminum-Heat...e-9992-44c1-9ee0-eb9792e71b5e&pf_rd_i=desktop

ill measure things out when i finally get around to it, untill my new ram and heatsink are in place not much point talking about them
what voltages would you not recommend going past without heatsinks?

The KVR800D2N5 got me interested so picked up 4 sticks and could not get them to post on the 1:1 divider so in frustration set all the memory options to Auto and let the hardware decide the out come and got the first SS.

MB Gigabyte EP45-Extreme
Xeon 3370, multi set to 8
Water on the CPU, Fans on whisper
Vcore as shown in CPUz
RAM 1.9v
NB 1.38v
PLL 1.72v

All SS's use the same settings.

Kingston 4x2.png

Just to see if they would do DDR2 1000 didn't make 1066

Cropped Kingston 4x2.DDR2 1000.png

Manually setting timings from SPD although tRAS of 18 was unstable but made Windows

Kingston 4x2 Tighter.png

Hopefully a starting point, 5:6 looking pretty good.

Cool, so my instabilities could come from the 1:1 ratio, however the smallest ratio i have besides 1:1 is 1:2, and my non matching ram isnt helping much, but atleast theres hope.

i think its also a issue of the fact im running N6 at 5 and not N5s, so its not really matched and half of its timed faster then it should be, im gonna try turning my 1:1 to auto which is 1:1 it might help considering how the ram seems to hate non auto settings

It's definitely a better board but you still need to get your ram straightened out. New board same ram could be the same problems.

well im replaceing my ram with a 4x2gb kit of patriot ram hopefully, but once the ram issues finished, how far roughly should the PQ be able to go, considering the 212, i figure theres alot more voltage headroom atleast.

the first thing pointed out by you was the power delivery section, i figured going from 3 to 16 would yield some advantages especially considering mine isnt heatsinked

If it's a decent chip probably 3.2 to 3.5 should be achievable, maybe more.

Back