• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core I3/I5 Clarkdale prices up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ha compared to a Phenom II I would take an I3 anyday. Dude I move to intel from a Phenom II quad at 3.9ghz, there is NO comparison. The I5 750 decimates the Phenom II, so I'm guessing the 600 series I5's will still beat Phenom II and the I3's will give them a run for the money.

QFT!!!

I like amd but would never waste money on it.

I think we are all still waiting for AMD to come back with the chip they needed back in '06 when the C2Ds came out. I also like AMD (You don't get to be the head baker of the AMD fanboy club without doing so), but they haven't really made a good chip since the A64s. The phenom I was a joke and the phenom II was a few years too late.

Back on topic slightly, I wanna see that new Pentium chip.

I think we are all still waiting for AMD to come back with the chip they needed back in '06 when the C2Ds came out. I also like AMD (You don't get to be the head baker of the AMD fanboy club without doing so), but they haven't really made a good chip since the A64s. The phenom I was a joke and the phenom II was a few years too late.

Back on topic slightly, I wanna see that new Pentium chip.

Provantage has it in stock for 104.99

The last Amd i owned was a Phenom X3 8750 Black Toilman and it was pretty sweet on water and at 3.4Ghz but i upgraded to an E8500 that went to 4.9Ghz and was just ****ing crazy

Provantage has it in stock for 104.99

The last Amd i owned was a Phenom X3 8750 Black Toilman and it was pretty sweet on water and at 3.4Ghz but i upgraded to an E8500 that went to 4.9Ghz and was just ****ing crazy

back when i built my first computer i made the mistake and buying the first round of AM2 slot AMD. I was not ready up much and didnt know that intel's Core 2 duo (conroe) was coming out a few months after i built it.

It was a AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2 Ghz stock cpu. At the time it worked well with my 7900 GT KO Superclocked (Evga). But when i upgraded to a 8800GTX when they came out. holy crap the cpu was a huge bottle neck. A month or so later i upgraded to a E6750 (Which im still running now) and holy **** did i see a huge jump a performance. I unlocked at least 40-60 extra FPS In most games i played. transcoding videos for my ipod and making dvd rips spend up big time and just noticeable faster system use.

I'm no fan boy. i buy what is good a performance but also good in price.

Currently i want to upgrade my current CPU to a quad core but i dont money to go 1156 or 1366 slot yet. I really want to go I7 but not enough $$. I want to get a Q9550 but they are flippen 250 bucks :mad: i can get a I5 750 for 195 which will probably put out better performance.

I'm typing this right now on my macbook (in bed about to go to sleep) I paid for half of this (other half was given to me to get this for college) I live 20 miles away from 2 major college's around my area so i just live at home (I'm 20) I plan on moving out soon but for the time being, i find my self not using the macbook pro to justify owning it. I use it when i go to my buds house but for the most part i just use it for surfing the web while in bed. I only used it maybe 3 times out of the whole fall semester. I'm thinking about selling it and just upgrading my current computer to a I7 (wish i could get the Gulftown chip but but wont be happening) after upgrading my current computer i can make a pretty kick *** computer with my current motherboard, ram and cpu and sell it :)

still debating about it though. spring semester is coming up and i may find myself in a class that may put good use to the macbook. but being that this macbook is a late 2009 macbook pro (13") i could probably still get 900 for it at least and have 250-300 bucks left over to use towards a cheap laptop just for surfing the net and ****.

sorry for going off in a tangent lol my mind wondered off while i was typing

back when i built my first computer i made the mistake and buying the first round of AM2 slot AMD. I was not ready up much and didnt know that intel's Core 2 duo (conroe) was coming out a few months after i built it.

It was a AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2 Ghz stock cpu. At the time it worked well with my 7900 GT KO Superclocked (Evga). But when i upgraded to a 8800GTX when they came out. holy crap the cpu was a huge bottle neck. A month or so later i upgraded to a E6750 (Which im still running now) and holy **** did i see a huge jump a performance. I unlocked at least 40-60 extra FPS In most games i played. transcoding videos for my ipod and making dvd rips spend up big time and just noticeable faster system use.

I'm no fan boy. i buy what is good a performance but also good in price.

Currently i want to upgrade my current CPU to a quad core but i dont money to go 1156 or 1366 slot yet. I really want to go I7 but not enough $$. I want to get a Q9550 but they are flippen 250 bucks :mad: i can get a I5 750 for 195 which will probably put out better performance.

I'm typing this right now on my macbook (in bed about to go to sleep) I paid for half of this (other half was given to me to get this for college) I live 20 miles away from 2 major college's around my area so i just live at home (I'm 20) I plan on moving out soon but for the time being, i find my self not using the macbook pro to justify owning it. I use it when i go to my buds house but for the most part i just use it for surfing the web while in bed. I only used it maybe 3 times out of the whole fall semester. I'm thinking about selling it and just upgrading my current computer to a I7 (wish i could get the Gulftown chip but but wont be happening) after upgrading my current computer i can make a pretty kick *** computer with my current motherboard, ram and cpu and sell it :)

still debating about it though. spring semester is coming up and i may find myself in a class that may put good use to the macbook. but being that this macbook is a late 2009 macbook pro (13") i could probably still get 900 for it at least and have 250-300 bucks left over to use towards a cheap laptop just for surfing the net and ****.

sorry for going off in a tangent lol my mind wondered off while i was typing

ATM,

IMO the 920 is a complete and utter Overkill. Honestly nothing today short of doing video editing 24/7 takes advantage of it. Alittle cheaper option would be going with an I7 860 and a good P55 board.

ATM,

IMO the 920 is a complete and utter Overkill. Honestly nothing today short of doing video editing 24/7 takes advantage of it. Alittle cheaper option would be going with an I7 860 and a good P55 board.

I rip blu ray's allot with ripbot264. right not it takes around 8 or so hours to rip a 1080P blu ray. (used to be 12+ hours but downloaded an updated version of ripbot that runs in 64-Bit and converts faster)

would be nice to be able to get the 8 hours down so i dont have to leave my computer on overnight while converting.

i have two builds in my wish list on newegg (both are just cpu, ram and mobo) for a 1156 build with a 860, 4 gigs of g-skill 2000mhz ram and a nice EVGA motherboard will run me 619 bucks (without shipping)

i can build a I7 920, 3 gigs (tri channel kit) of G-skill 1333mhz ram and a Evga e758-a1 3-way sli motherboard for 654 (without shipping)

for 35 more bucks, ill probably go with the 1366 slot I7 setup. Being that Gulftown is going to be on that socket. when Sandy Bridge and newer cpu's come out, i can still upgrade without worrying about my motherboard holding me back.

i have two builds in my wish list on newegg (both are just cpu, ram and mobo) for a 1156 build with a 860, 4 gigs of g-skill 2000mhz ram and a nice EVGA motherboard will run me 619 bucks (without shipping)

i can build a I7 920, 3 gigs (tri channel kit) of G-skill 1333mhz ram and a Evga e758-a1 3-way sli motherboard for 654 (without shipping)

for 35 more bucks, ill probably go with the 1366 slot I7 setup. Being that Gulftown is going to be on that socket. when Sandy Bridge and newer cpu's come out, i can still upgrade without worrying about my motherboard holding me back.

What?? The I7 860 build you have there will easily outperform the 920! Clock for clock lynnfield is faster than bloomfield, and then you have the ram there that is much faster and more of it which will more than make up for triple channel bandwidth.

If you are concerned about SLI/crossfire, you could wait as I mentioned for the gigabyte p55-UD7, which will be the first P55 board with full 16x/16x crossfire/SLI.

Clock for clock Lynnfield is the same or occasionally slower in cases such as WinRAR which are very memory bandwidth sensitive. It's certainly not faster, the only reason it shows up faster in stock speed reviews is higher Turboboost speeds. So if they are overclocked to the same speed and without Turboboost they will perform at worst the same and occasionally the 920 will be faster.

I'll be interested to see reviews of that Gigabyte board but I wouldn't hold my breath. The last review of a mobo with the NF200 PCIe lane splitter chip which I read were not impressive. Basically it's providing PCIe 16x bandwidth between the cards but not to the CPU so any CPU-GPU transfers will still go through the same 16x lanes as they would when split up 8x/8x. Since it adds latency to the card-card PCIe transfers there ends up being little to no actual advantage especially since all multi-GPU configurations nowadays use a special bridge directly between the cards for much of the card-card data transfer. I'm betting that for the price premium it will have one is just as well off getting an x58 board.

Last edited:
I would bet a lot of money that the UD7 will fail or have SOME cons with the x16/x16. It just sounds too good to be true.

Clock for clock Lynnfield is the same or occasionally slower in cases such as WinRAR which are very memory bandwidth sensitive. It's certainly not faster, the only reason it shows up faster in stock speed reviews is higher Turboboost speeds. So if they are overclocked to the same speed and without Turboboost they will perform at worst the same and occasionally the 920 will be faster.

ok but in this case, the 920 will have 3 gigs of 1333 whereas the 860 will have 4 gigs of 2000. That will make up and then some for dual/triple channel bandwidth issues. It's true the 920 will have more upgrade potential, but honestly by the time an I7 860 is obsolete the 920 will be too so you'll be building a whole new rig either way.

Ah, well that'd be why LOL :)

Just to note I think it's funny that a CPU thread has turned into a gfx card discussion lol

Some of us that haven't been in the scene or built a rig in a while appreciate threads like this. It keeps me from having to ask dumb *** noobie questions and it's all in one thread.

I'm looking to build a new comp for the first time in, well back when I joined here. Man I know nothing anymore. Back to lurking.

Carry on gentleman.:salute:

Some of us that haven't been in the scene or built a rig in a while appreciate threads like this. It keeps me from having to ask dumb *** noobie questions and it's all in one thread.

I'm looking to build a new comp for the first time in, well back when I joined here. Man I know nothing anymore. Back to lurking.

Carry on gentleman.:salute:

I didn't say it was a bad thing, just say I thought it was funny!

Back