• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 860 attempting 4.2 ghtz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MilkSteak

Registered
To start things off I am new to overclocking so be gentle with extra lube. I am prime95 stable at 4.0 running blck at 200 with a 20x multiplier and tried to up it to 21x for 4.2 with no avail. Temps are not the issue at this point, prolimatech magahalems with push-pull, but voltage. I have increased vcore voltages up to the 1.5 something in the bios were the numbers go red and all others are on auto. The memory is on an xmp profile with the multiplier at 10x, it is 2000mhz rated memory. If I have to go to some insane voltage I am happy at 4.0 but if I am missing something let me know.

Attachments

• Overclock shot.jpg
    Overclock shot.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 265

Daddyjaxx

That is wayyy too much voltage. I don't believe those temps can be right either. 1.55v on an I7 with HT enabled would be coming close to the 90's with high end water. The 1156's may run a tad cooler, but not that much cooler.

dgb303

I'm thinking about taking my computer outside in the -10c weather to do some benchmarking...I'd like to try for 5Ghz particularly since there aren't all that many people it seems that have 1156's higher than 4Ghz.

OP
M

MilkSteak

Registered
Ok

This is where I am getting confused because I set the Vcore to be 1.44 and it jumps all around to almost 1.6 at full load. The temps are from running at 3 hours with small FFT so I think they are right unless I am having some issues with the MB reading wrong. The voltages run from 1.441 to 1.662 while watching CPUZ while running prime95 and think it could be one of my auto setting somewhere.

OP
M

MilkSteak

Registered
Well if you must know ambient in my house is 19 C because we are cheap and live in Michigan.

OP
M

MilkSteak

Registered
Screen shots galore.

Here are more temperature monitoring programs. If I'm doing something wrong call me out.

Attachments

• More shots.jpg
    More shots.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 241

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Okay, 1.5 is WAAAAAYYYYYY too much!! Max safe is 1.45 (i just learned that tonight... thought it was 1.4 for the longest time)

What are you IOH and QPI voltages? You shouldn't have to run with that much voltage even on the worst of chips...

OP
M

MilkSteak

Registered
I realize that is a lot of voltage but I set it under 1.5 so I am wondering why it shoots up. I have all the other voltages set at auto so I am wondering if I should manually set them at something else.

OP
M

MilkSteak

Registered
That high voltage only occurs at a 100% load on all cores, otherwise at idle it is 1.440v.

I would also like to add that I seriously appreciate all those who take the time to help out.

CompuTamer

Is there an option somewhere in your BIOS to increase the voltage under load?

My DX58SO has a "Slope" option that increases the voltage as the load increases to help with stability and power use. Is there anything similar in your BIOS setup?

And to get to 4GHz on my board, i have to manually set the IOH voltage. Start around 1.25 and then work your way up in small increments. Then just work from the bottom of the list up on the QPI until it boots up and runs stable. I don't trust auto... it always under or overpowers things (it would set my cpu to 1.3 at 3.0, and then only 1.35 at 4.0)

OP
M

MilkSteak

Registered
Ok, I have OPI/Vtt PCH and CPU PLL voltages to work with. Any suggestions on starting points for these? In reference to "flash to f5" what does that entail?

OP
M

MilkSteak

Registered
I didn't see an option for automatic voltage adjustments outside of setting vcore to auto so I am thinking one of these other setting are working a little magic in the background.

CompuTamer

Ok, I have OPI/Vtt PCH and CPU PLL voltages to work with. Any suggestions on starting points for these? In reference to "flash to f5" what does that entail?

Grr... i have no clue what any of those are... one is the QPI, and one is the IOH, i just don't know which ones...

And i second the flash to f5 question... huh? lol

OP
M

MilkSteak

Registered
Ahh I' on to something... think I need to turn off CPU EIST and some of the other power features.

OP
M

MilkSteak

Registered
Thanks all for the input. I have played with some of the power features and this did the trick. down to 1.3ish volts at 3.8 ghtz now. Going back to square one with the overclock now the right way it appears.