• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corporate discounts and internet providers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlyingTexan

Registered
My mother works for Coke and we're using her corp discount on a shared plan which is pretty sizable. It keeps my total cell bill with an iphone 6s to around $60 a month and they never use the data which we have at 16GB.

Anyway does anyone know if these corp discount rates apply to other ATT or comcast services? Comcast canceled my internet plan of 100mb for $35/month that I've been riding happily for a while and all the sudden put me on some 75mb plan for like $80 a month. They also didn't notify me they were doing it so I called and canceled today and am shopping around.

100mbit is really kind of a a fools gold thing for just one person. While the bandwidth is there I found that no other services can use it. Downloading files from dropbox and whatnot still never capped it and streaming services can't even begin to get close to that. AT&T has options in my area so was curious if I could pick up internet at the same 25% discount. I called and the girl on the line had no clue and wanted me to sign up now then she could transfer me to find out which was a no go. Has anyone dealt with something like this?

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
You'll have to get your mom to figure out what services she gets discounts with. I know AT&T mobile vs home are treated as two separate services, though.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
As ATM said, your mom will have to see what discounts are available. My wife's company got us a discount with Verizon and our cable company. Can also get discounts at dealerships etc as well. She will just have to see, generally there's a different line that you call that gets redirected to the company and sometimes a company code that is needed to be given.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
My mother works for Coke and we're using her corp discount on a shared plan which is pretty sizable. It keeps my total cell bill with an iphone 6s to around $60 a month and they never use the data which we have at 16GB.

Anyway does anyone know if these corp discount rates apply to other ATT or comcast services? Comcast canceled my internet plan of 100mb for $35/month that I've been riding happily for a while and all the sudden put me on some 75mb plan for like $80 a month. They also didn't notify me they were doing it so I called and canceled today and am shopping around.

100mbit is really kind of a a fools gold thing for just one person. While the bandwidth is there I found that no other services can use it. Downloading files from dropbox and whatnot still never capped it and streaming services can't even begin to get close to that. AT&T has options in my area so was curious if I could pick up internet at the same 25% discount. I called and the girl on the line had no clue and wanted me to sign up now then she could transfer me to find out which was a no go. Has anyone dealt with something like this?

uverse is junk. trust me. ive been stuck with it for like 6 years.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
I wouldn't call it junk, but definitely not as good as the devil, err I mean Comcast.

Leegit

I wouldn't call it junk, but definitely not as good as the devil, err I mean Comcast.

Paying 250$ for TV/Internet through Comcast, unlimited bandwidth. Only getting a quality signal in the living room and downstairs. Everything else is spotty. The monthly charges for the equipment are insane... :mad:

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
How many splitters do you have?

EDIT: Also never split your internet line. It should be straight from the "main" splitter. If that makes sense.

ATMINSIDE

Paying 250$ for TV/Internet through Comcast, unlimited bandwidth. Only getting a quality signal in the living room and downstairs. Everything else is spotty. The monthly charges for the equipment are insane... :mad:

Then buy your own equipment.

ATMINSIDE

^^^^ This. They will pay themselves off in the first year.

Mine are "paying me back" at this point. IIRC it was $8/mo for my modem at TWC.

About 13 months ago I bought my SB6183 for $106 so I'm at my break even point now.
When I need to step up modems again, I'll sell it to recoup some of the up front cost.

Previously I had an SB6121, which I kept for 30 months, and sold for $45.
It was purchased at a grand total of $80. So it was a net loss of $35 on that modem, but a net gain of $240 by not paying TWC.
Saved $205 over that timeframe by literally doing nothing other than what I'd already be doing.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
How many splitters do you have?

EDIT: Also never split your internet line. It should be straight from the "main" splitter. If that makes sense.
It is called a 'homerun' line, yep!

For him it may be worth it to look around and see where all the cables and splitters are and get the extras out. Too much signal is as bad as too little there as well. Get the company out to check.

Also their cable modems are terrible. Get your own modem and good router...wireless problem solved and so are costs. :)