• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corrupt OS? Corrupt Disk? Or just a random error?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

XP 32 SP3
WD 1500HLFS Velociraptor 150GB
operating temperature 28-32 celsius
operating time average 24-48 hours at a time with a 12 hour rest

I just ran Spybot S&D. It locked the system up at around check 80 000. I got a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the tool bar and it said windows corrupt file. I restarted and each time I restarted it said 'disk error' and would not enter windows.

When I shut the power off and restarted it entered checkdisk, passed, and then I entered windows.

I am running spybot now successfully.

*Is windows corrupt?
*Is there a program to check the integrity of windows and the disk itself at a higher level of detail please? (Sorry I know annoying question)
*With the system cover off the disk is making a tick tock......... tack. sound every five seconds or so...

johnz

An O/S doesn't really corrupt by itself. It's usually bad ram, bad disk, or improper shutdown that causes corruption. I've never heard the tick of death, so it's hard to say in that regard. Some drives are naturally clattery, so that could be nothing. I'd backup everything you don't want to lose, and keep an eye on the drive. It may or may not be going bad, but there's no point in taking chances. Keep an eye on the SMART status, and make sure it doesn't degrade over time. Active HD Monitor is a decent SMART monitor...

http://www.disk-monitor.com/

OP
Theocnoob

Theocnoob

An O/S doesn't really corrupt by itself. It's usually bad ram, bad disk, or improper shutdown that causes corruption. I've never heard the tick of death, so it's hard to say in that regard. Some drives are naturally clattery, so that could be nothing. I'd backup everything you don't want to lose, and keep an eye on the drive. It may or may not be going bad, but there's no point in taking chances. Keep an eye on the SMART status, and make sure it doesn't degrade over time. Active HD Monitor is a decent SMART monitor...

http://www.disk-monitor.com/

the page wouldn't open for me

johnz

the page wouldn't open for me

Hmm... I don't know why that would be... It's just a program that reads SMART data. Other programs will also. I generally use Speedfan since I have that installed anyway.

I wonder if you could have a virus, or something like that. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to see the link I posted.

OP
Theocnoob

Theocnoob

I can see it on this computer but not on the other one... I'm going to go see right now if I can..

This HD has acted up before...

Neuromancer

Thanks for the link.. thought it was not freeware looking at the website. Hit up Download page and there is a free version :) Excellent :)

madhatter256

Special Member
Download WD-Diag ISO from WD's site and test the hDD. Backup the drive before any tests are done.