• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair 5600 cl36 to 6000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Killerrf

Registered
Good day.

Would there be much to gain from over clocking 5600 to 6000? Or would staying at 5600 with trying to achieve faster latency better?
This is for daily use…no extreme oc and benchmarking goals here. Ha.

This ram is been running on xmp setting for almost 3 months with 12700kf and asus prime-a mb.
I have fiddled with cpu and Gpu over clocking and under volting on this system and past systems but never ever fiddled with ram other than just turn on xmp and roll. Thanks.

Edit: cpu Id shows Samsung memory at 1.25v. Running games and such i looked at mem temp on armory crate and it runs around 42-43c.

Solution
Usually the best works when you enable XMP and adjust manually everything you want, like voltages. I guess you have XMP1 and XMP2 options in your BIOS, even though your RAM has only one XMP profile. If you have 2 XMP options then the first is usually for the optimal performance (optimized by BIOS) and the second one is for optimal compatibility, close to the XMP profile in RAM. It's described in BIOS when you click on the XMP/auto/manual options. The first one should give a bit better performance but the second one can be better for higher frequency OC. I'm not sure how it looks on your motherboard so you have to try it on your own.

1.35V SA and 1.3V memory controller are usually enough for 6600-6800. I don't know if it's going to...
Well after some
Time the 6000 isn’t working good. I find ram intensive games will random lock up but win10 doesn’t.
So I reset bios defaults and restarted. Then only set xmp2 at 5600 setting. Did memtest to make sure. Passed. Then only things I changed dram frequency to 6000 and set ram voltage to 1.3. Memtest fails in first 10 min. Then up to 1.325 volts. Memtest fails and maybe took 25 min. Upped to 1.35 volts it goes most way thru test but still fails with a couple errors all the time. This is at 36-36-36-76 standard timings which none I have changed.

So puzzled I tried going to 5800mhz. Memtest passed. So I changed timings lower to 34-34-34-34 trfc 460 and trefi at 65000 and voltage at 1.335 volts. Did memtest a second time and it passed still. So not sure something is not liking 6000 mhz frequency. Not sure what. Imc= 1.2v. SA=1.13v. No lockups in programs that would random lockup previously. Cpu imc / motherboard /ram… one is of poor quality.
Ecores cause imc issues?

Last edited:
Try higher SA voltage like 1.20-1.25V at 6000. I would also test stability with something like AIDA64 (memory+cache only in the stability test) or any other Windows benchmark that uses more RAM. It's often passing memtest but is later crashing in Windows for whatever reason.
E-cores at auto shouldn't cause any issues. If you aren't sure then can always turn them off and test.

Try higher SA voltage like 1.20-1.25V at 6000. I would also test stability with something like AIDA64 (memory+cache only in the stability test) or any other Windows benchmark that uses more RAM. It's often passing memtest but is later crashing in Windows for whatever reason.
E-cores at auto shouldn't cause any issues. If you aren't sure then can always turn them off and test.
ok ill try more voltage on SA and keep fiddling see what comes about it. thx

Well… fiddled some more and yea no go yet. Tried up to 1.25v each imc/SA voltage 1.35v ram and still errors at 6000 36-36-36-76. Seems that would be enough voltage for that speed. I’ve been trying to read posts if someone posts what xmp2 sa/imc voltages show up in bios for a retail 6000 36-36-36-76 Samsung kit.

So I watched one of buildzoids videos o/c ddr5 around 6400 I think it was on an asus apex board and he found he only needed like 1v SA and 1.28-1.29 volts on imc at 6400.
So I lowered my SA down to 1.05v and left my imc at 1.25v and ram at 1.35v with 5800 34-34-34-34 460 29000 twrdpre at 60 and twrdpen 60 (going off top of my head for the names of those last two settings) and it passed fine with memtest pro. Hell beats me. Seems like SA volts don’t matter as much with this asus board as does imc and ram volts. Crazy how everything so different.
Even had an old 2”x2” fan I mounted over ram making sure to eliminate and issues from heat although I never seen over 52c prior. But with fan it doesn’t go over 41-42c. Cools good with small fan

According to occt benchmarks the way I have it now it same as 6000.

Probably my board poor. When I first bought and installed the mb my onboard intel LAN would only download at 10mb/s no matter what I tried for internet settings. Called asus and they were going to rma it but thought no way take it all apart for that. Put a 30$ pci-e 1x lan card in and get full internet speeds right away. Maybe I should have rma it. Ha.

Edit: maybe I should try the other two ram slots. A2&b2

Last edited:
You have to use A2/B2 or whatever it's called - 2/4 slot counting from the CPU side. It's even in the manual.

You have to use A2/B2 or whatever it's called - 2/4 I’m going to chalk it up to a poor board I guess.
You have to use A2/B2 or whatever it's called - 2/4 slot counting from the CPU side. It's even in the manual.
Yea it’s installed like manual says ha just taking a stab in the dark. Oh well chalk it up to poor board I guess. Talk ya later.

Back