• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR5-6200 CL36 - CMT32GX5M2X6200C36

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I still have two more DDR5 kits to present but decided to start with Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5-6200 CL36. I'm rarely reviewing Corsair RAM so I was especially interested in how it works and what it offers.
The tested memory kit is based on two 16GB modules with Hynix IC. The product number is CMT32GX5M2X6200C36 but I haven't seen it on any QVL. Most Z690/DDR5 motherboards have many pre-release memory kits on the list and most of them, even with the same product number, are using different IC. Either way, let's focus on the Corsair kit.

The tested Dominator Platinum kit works without issues on ASUS Strix Z690I Gaming and Gigabyte Z690 Master. As far as I wasn't worried about the ASUS then Gigabyte causes problems with some other memory kits, especially G.Skill at more than DDR5-5600. Here were have DDR5-6200 at XMP that works fully stable and the motherboard has no problems with booting.

Product photos:

dom6.jpg

dom5.jpg

dom2.jpg

dom4.jpg

dom3.jpg

dom1.jpg

RGB works without problems. If we won't use any software then it works as a popular rainbow. These LEDs are great and I really like how Dominator Platinum RGB looks.

Stability at rated settings:

The memory kit has one XMP profile at DDR5-6200 CL36-39-39 1.30V and doesn't require any manual adjustments to work. The memory kit passed memtest built-in ASUS motherboard and AIDA64 stability test. Below is a screenshot from the AIDA64 test.

Dom62_p1.jpg

Performance tests:

I was able to boot at DDR5-7200 but it was crashing even in the AIDA64 benchmark. DDR5-7000 is benchable at CL38 but timings aren't so great and latency is worse than at lower clocks.

Dom62_p8.jpg

The lowest CL is 26 at DDR5-6000 and results are pretty good.
Dom62_p9.jpg

As usual, fine-tuning would require more time so these are just examples of how you can set this specific memory kit.
The advantage of this memory kit seems its price (at least in the EU) as it's about as high or lower than that of other brands DDR5-6000 (Team Group/G.Skill). This was quite a surprise as Corsair Dominator kits are usually overpriced. DDR5 kits are overpriced anyway so at least we can pick something a bit faster out of the box.
High compatibility also seems like a surprise as many previous Corsair kits had problems with Gigabyte motherboards while now it works better than G.Skill.

I assume that results could be better but I feel like the ASUS Strix Z690-I Gaming motherboard is limiting my results a bit. Up to DDR5-6666, it works fully stable. At DDR5-6800 are sometimes single errors in memtest (like 0-2 errors per pass). The same story is with 2 other DDR5 kits so I assume that the problem is more on the motherboard's side than RAM.

In this forum review, I used FarCry 6 as a game test. The last time it was Shadow of the Tomb Raider. In both cases, the difference between XMP and the fastest manual settings is ... 1FPS :)
I may use Assassin's Creed Valhalla in the next review but expect about the same performance gain just at lower max FPS (around 80 instead of 120).

Last edited:
I added some photos. This kit is in my daily rig right now so I'm not expecting to perform more tests. I was checking it on Gigabyte Z690 Master but the motherboard can't even boot with this RAM at more than DDR5-6400. Actually, it doesn't want to boot above that clock with any RAM. No problems to run it at DDR5-6800+ on ASUS.

@Woomack, apologies to ask this here but I have the same kit and the Aorus Master but I can't get it to post at 6200. Any suggestions?

I would blame Gigabyte for not releasing a proper BIOS. I have Aorus Master too and the XMP was working fine on F7a/b/c BIOS, but nothing above that. Sometimes after retraining, manual 6200 was not fully stable (simply turn off and turn on the PC and it's not stable), but the XMP was fine.
There is a new BIOS F8c in the download section and maybe it will help. It has info about G.Skill memory kits, but no one knows what they changed. However, there are multiple BIOS releases with improvement for G.Skill memory, while I couldn't make any G.Skill kit work without issues at 6000 or higher. One earlier BIOS with improvements for G.Skill helped ADATA 6000 kit to run at 6200-6400, but G.Skill 6000 kit was working even worse.

I would blame Gigabyte for not releasing a proper BIOS. I have Aorus Master too and the XMP was working fine on F7a/b/c BIOS, but nothing above that. Sometimes after retraining, manual 6200 was not fully stable (simply turn off and turn on the PC and it's not stable), but the XMP was fine.
There is a new BIOS F8c in the download section and maybe it will help. It has info about G.Skill memory kits, but no one knows what they changed. However, there are multiple BIOS releases with improvement for G.Skill memory, while I couldn't make any G.Skill kit work without issues at 6000 or higher. One earlier BIOS with improvements for G.Skill helped ADATA 6000 kit to run at 6200-6400, but G.Skill 6000 kit was working even worse.
I feel it's the same reason. I'm on F8c and it won't boot past 5133, it's really tainted my view of Gigabyte after a great run on their x99 boards.

I've had good luck with 5600 sticks on several gigabyte Z690 boards (after the release BIOS). Prior to the ones I've used the Giga's wouldn't even boot with the GSkill sticks. The Tachyon ran ADATA 6000 sticks without issue at 6400 as well. The Tachyon was using the latest BIOS but unsure what it was offhand.

Last edited:
The Tachyon is the highest-rated motherboard on the market, at least looking at the QVL. I still wasn't convinced to buy it, even though it was supposed to be the same level as ASUS Apex or MSI Unify-X. I feel like these high motherboards run up to 6400 without bigger problems but only some will make more than 6600. Literally, can count maybe 5 models that will make more and it's still sometimes a matter of luck (ehm, Apex ...).
I still had no problems making the Master boot at 6200-6400 with 4 different memory kits. It was acting the best with ADATA/Samsung kit but Corsair was still better than G.Skill.
Try to set 5600 with enabled XMP. If you make it boot and stabilize it, then set VDIMM and VDDQ voltages at 1.35V and try 6000.

You may try to go back to F7c BIOS. I don't know how the F8c works. I had no time to test it and I'm still at F7c. The Master is in my daily PC with ADATA@XMP 6000 running fine 24/7. Dominators went to my test PC right now and I actually finished building it.

20220312_180340.jpg

Thanks for all the hints - it's really frustrating considering how long I had to wait for DDR5 stock to come in so I could finish my new build. I did try it on the F7C and the same problem occurred so I'm wondering do I need to talk to Gigabyte about the board or Corsair about the RAM? Gigabyte's support was pretty abysmal 72 hours wait to acknowledge your issue, then 2-3 line responses from support with 2 days delays between each. Corsair are much better but most of their support people are clueless on new products (I have the H170i which also randomly decides to stop working every 3-4 boots). I always warn myself of the early adopter penalty, yet I still do it!

I would understand it doesn't work at 6000+ but something like 5600 and tighter timings should work fine. I assume you are using 2/4 memory slots counting from the CPU side.
If you make everything correctly then it should at least boot at 6200 with F7c BIOS. It was working fine for me at XMP when I was preparing results for this short review. Problems started later when I used Z690 Master and Dominators in my gaming PC.

Gigabyte support didn't reply to my problems with RX6700XT for 3 weeks, I already sold the card and there is still no reply ;) I just don't think they will help. They will probably blame Corsair and Corsair will blame Gigabyte. It's or BIOS problem or memory slots problem as some motherboards clearly show that. I haven't heard about memory slots problems on Gigabyte motherboards but also it's the least popular for overclocking.

Edit:
The new BIOS will be probably released soon as Gigabyte removed F8c beta from their website.

Last edited:
the new Gigabyte Z690 Master beta BIOS was released - F8d
  1. Checksum : 4722
  2. Improve Kingston 8G/32G DDR5 issue
  3. Improve compatibility for DDR5 5600~6400 MHz
  4. Improve Gskill 6000 DDR5 issue
Really Gigabyte? ... is that 5 or 6 BIOS that is supposed to help with G.Skill DDR5 issues? ...

I'm not sure if I find time to check it soon but good luck.

So I gave it a go and no dice ... definately my last gigabyte board for a long time. I was wondering if the issue was down to trying to use 2 sets so I tried with just 2 sticks with contiguous serial numbers and still no luck.

I wasn't checking 4 modules but I heard you can expect about 5600 max on most motherboards. Only two modules are designed to work at XMP and 6000+ ... and probably only in slots 2/4.

So I gave it a go and no dice ... definately my last gigabyte board for a long time. I was wondering if the issue was down to trying to use 2 sets so I tried with just 2 sticks with contiguous serial numbers and still no luck.

There is new BIOS - F8e
  1. Checksum : 5735
  2. Include Intel® Core™ i9-12900KS Processor support
  3. Improve compatibility for DDR5 5600MHz 8G
  4. Improve compatibility for DDR5 6000MHz 16G

I noticed that today. I'm still on F7c. I have to check newer versions but I have OS on a weird 5x250GB RAID0 and I hope that nothing will happen with that when I jump over 2 microcodes. After some older tests, I had 5x 250GB Samsung 970 Evo and since this mobo supports 5x M.2 without any weird add-on cards then I thought why not. It's barely faster than 2xPCIe 4.0 SSD in RAID0 but well, I already had it, so no money loss.

I can't get into the bios with F8e, I've tried different keyboards and mice but seems to be a USB compatibility error. I use Windows boot to UEFI to get in but can't do anything :)

I have the Gigabyte z690 Gaming x and CMT32GX5M2X6200C36 but xmp profile fails to post. Best I can get is 5800mhz.

The reply from gigabyte was a bit of a cop out tbh - see below…

“We will provide BIOS updates constantly with updates from Intel.

However there might be limited changes to your case as we have not tested that Corsair memory kits before to guarantee its performance, and also when it exceed our tested speed of max. 6000MHz.

The memory OC stability is also affected by CPU quality, therefore your 12600K may or may not be relevant in this case.”

This was probably the first support "firewall" where are usually clueless people who tell you what they have in the product specs.
Gigabyte failed every BIOS for Z690 regarding DDR5-6000+ support. The same problems are on other, higher series Gigabyte motherboards like the Master. Considering that Z690 Master already had at least 8 BIOS versions (probably more) that were supposed to fix DDR5 6000-6400 compatibility issues and it still doesn't work, suggests that their BIOS team has no idea what is doing or they simply can't make anything as the hardware has its limitations.
Either way, we are 6 months after the premiere and every motherboard manufacturer has problems with DDR5-6000+ compatibility or stability. Some motherboards run higher, some lower, but there are problems with specific RAM brands, used PMIC, used IC, motherboard design flaws, production problems, and some more.

I highly doubt that your CPU causes the problem. I've tested multiple 12600K and 12900K and all were about the same, and all that I had, could run at 7200 stable on a single slot. Sadly, my motherboards are limited to 6400-6800 on 2 slots.

I recommend checking every new BIOS and for 24/7 enable XMP and manually change the clock to 5600/5800 and tighter timings like CL30-36-36. The performance difference in daily work is not much worse. I understand that you paid for 6200 and wish to make it run at this clock, but there is not much anyone can do. You can exchange the motherboard for something else but only higher ASUS/MSI motherboards run fine at 6200-6400 and everything else is quite random.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I’ve just uploaded the latest bios that came out last week 8Fa which claimed to fix many ddr5 6000mhz issue and now I can’t even run the same settings I did previously without a post failure. They’re going backwards 🤦‍♂️. Apparently the Msi tomahawk supports my memory and is tested to work. What are your thoughts on this board?

Back