• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair HD 50 or Air cooling???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wickedout

Hello again. I'm thinking of going either with the HD 50 or some big mother air cooler. What should I do?

I'd like some opinions. Thanks!

Bobnova

Personally, i would go with a Megahalems if i had the money. No possibility of leaks or breakage.
The HD50 has posted some very nice temps recently though.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
TRUE or Megahalems hands down. There are too many things that people don't think about with the H50 that can go wrong. If the pump dies, you can't replace it, or if the tubing starts leaking, it isn't easily replaced. It is also a single 120mm rad, which will seem to be less rad than you will need for a lot of todays CPU's.

OP
wickedout

wickedout

Personally, i would go with a Megahalems if i had the money. No possibility of leaks or breakage.
The HD50 has posted some very nice temps recently though.

The HD50 is getting some really good feedback and those temps are pretty nice from what I've seen.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
Here is something I also posted for someone on the folding team. I hope this helps:

I have been doing a lot of research on water cooling lately, since I am getting ready to take the dive. The H50 is designed for the average Joe user, who wants to say they are running WC, but doesn't want to maintain a full loop. There are really too many things that can go wrong with it. For one thing, the radiator on it is just a single 120mm, which would be fine for a CPU only loop, but you can get much better performance and reliability by building your own loop. If my pump fails, I can replace the pump, if the pump fails on the H50, it is garbage. If I spring a leak in my tubing, I can replace the tube, but with the H50 being a completely sealed system, if a tube starts leaking, it can't be replaced.

<snip> You are much better off spending less money on a decent air cooler, as there is much less that can go wrong with one. If you are thinking about going water, in any way, I would recommend doing some research first.

OP
wickedout

wickedout

I had in this cooler in the mix to Noctua NH-D14 6-Heatpipe. Read somewhere it was better then the Prolimatech!

Boulard83

+1 !

True : The H50 receive good reviews. It can handle some OC. But thats all ...

Trust me, jumping into the WC world is an addictive fun ! Its Silent ( when needed ) and you can be proud of the job youv done. A single CPU loop with a 2x120mm rad and a Pump isnt that hard to keep kleen.

Trust me(us), youll get addicted to it !

Edit : You posted as i was posting. yes the DH-14 is really good too. But a Decent WC is better ;)

OP
wickedout

wickedout

+1 !

True : The H50 receive good reviews. It can handle some OC. But thats all ...

Trust me, jumping into the WC world is an addictive fun ! Its Silent ( when needed ) and you can be proud of the job youv done. A single CPU loop with a 2x120mm rad and a Pump isnt that hard to keep kleen.

Trust me(us), youll get addicted to it !

Edit : You posted as i was posting. yes the DH-14 is really good too. But a Decent WC is better ;)

Trust me I know I have a Koolance in my closet that use to be my loop cooling system for my old AMD cpu back in the day. Right now it would be sweet to use because all I'd have to do is order is an adepter for my Koolance.

The only thing that's holding me back is my current case Antec 902. I don't have much room in my room to set up for advance cooling at the moment. I just want something that I can get my CPU up and over 4.0ghz. without any problems or issues.

OP
wickedout

wickedout

The AC freezer 7 rev. 2 is good but it was only temporary for me. I'm ready to take the next step into a nice air cooler or I'm going with an all out assault with liquid cooling.