• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

corsair hydro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hi guys, just a quick question. I have the stock cooler on my cpu, and the fan is noisy as heck, it's whistling at high speed, which is most of the time, even with low CPU usage. At idle, I get good under 30C temps, but it jumps to 50C with minimal usage, and to 80C with load, and the fan goes crazy even at 50C. It's a 92mm fan. Now, my first instinct right now is to take it out, look for brackets for one of my big 120mm fans that are slower and thicker, and hope it fits, and of course clean the heat sink of all the dust and clean the copper bottom/cpu top and put AS5 on it, but is it worth it? Noise it a big complaint since it's a 24/7 system in my bedroom where I sleep with my wife, and while we love the "hum", we hate the whistling, and even a malwarebytes check will make the fan go crazy. For example, just writing here now, because of the bit of animation, my cpu is at 70C and fan is loud as heck. Crazy.

Now, I don't remember how the stock heat sink for the 8150 looks like, but I know I got a bunch of those steel brackets that hold the fans to the heatsink and I may have one that fits a 120mm fan, but I don't know, may be just wishful thinking.

In any case, I would love an opinion on the top, but here is my real question. My wife knows I would love to OC badly, and right now I just have all the 8 cores going at 4.2GHz at all times (actually I tried cool and quiet and turbo and it didn't help quiet it down). So, I know the Corsair H100i is out of the question, it's way too big and I don't need it, but the H80i looks absolutely perfect, but I need to know, will it fit into my case (Antec 300, 120mm hole in the read and another on top), and is it what I'm looking for? If the 2 fans are loud (25mm thickness?) can they be replaced with the high quality 120x38mm or 25mm fans I have? But also, about the fit, at first I couldn't understand, but it looks like one fan attaches to either the rear or top, then the heatsink, then the second fan on the inside, then the cables to the CPU. So, will that fit into Antec 300? And how about air flow, I'm thinking blowing IN from the top would be preferable, with another intake by the HDD's on the front, and then two exhausts, one on the rear and one on the side by the video cards, which is usually an intake to blow on the video cards.

Thank you, I would appreciate input on both the above and below, if it's possible to just use the stock heatsink, cleaned, with AS5 and a new good 120mm fan, will that work? But money is not an issue, so if the H80i is the way, let me know.

Of course, anything in the $70-$110 range is acceptable, so the best recommendations for cpu coolers (heatsinks + fans) would be fine too, as long as they fit into my case.

Greatly appreciated.

Looks like a H80i or a premium air cooler if it fits will be nice for your chip.

Have sides and front as intake and top and rear as exhaust should help as well as having a fan behind the MB if you should OCing.

Would the Noctua NH-D14 be on par with the H80i, I'm talking quiet and able to O/C moderately (not insanely). And do I even need to go that far, how about just a Hyper 212?

The H80i and the NH-D14 will perform the same (more or less). However if you're going to get better cooling for your current chip in your sig, I would suggest the NH-D14 unless your case is size limted, then I would go with the H80i. The NH-D14 is massive.

It's an Antec 300.. pretty wide (tall), and I hear that it doesn't interfere with the ram, the big noctua.. i'm thinking about it big time. I also hear the Noctua is very quiet and you can actually remove some case fans because it cools the case as well.

I don't know about that (removing case fans), the noctua heatsinks are top notch air coolers though.

Back