• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Obsidian 800D water cooling build questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, so far then it looks good. Keep that RAM cooler, but not for the RAMs (they could care less!), but for the motherboard / surrounding components. Even though they won't get hot, a little bit of air won't hurt them as you no longer have a HSF to cool them.

So far your BOM looks good. Something I would remark:

- I don't know if so many push/pull fans are worth it, specially with such low FPI rads as the XTX are (11 fins per inch). Being honest I think you could go with just a Black Ice GTX 360 on top with 3x AP-15, or if you're good with a soldering iron, a PWM-controlled AP-30.
- Drop one of the D5s. Seriously. That thing is not that restrictive to need a dual D5. A D5 is plenty of power for a watercooling system. Also the Koolance reservoir is outrageously expensive, get one of the new XSPC ones. Not the clear acrylic one, as those suck (I have one and its mounting system is the worst yet), but the new black acetal ones.
- Do you really need a flow meter or a water temp meter? Again, I think this is OK for the "cool factor", but for an actually useful system you don't need that. You just want to know the temps of the things you are cooling, and those things have integrated thermal probes.
- Prebuilt liquid is not a good idea, unless you can't get your hands on a proper biocide or want to give money to the companies. Just get distilled water, it's dirt cheap (I am not American, but I think Walmart sells a gallon for a dollar or so?) and is as good as it gets without entering the realm of the "emits toxic fumes that could kill you". Drop a biocide, whether it is a silver coil or a copper sulfate is your choice. They both kill the bad things.

This is such good info, and you sound extremely intelligent!

txus is never one to post garbage. He thinks. He's right, and on spot for your needs.

He was Sheldon's nemesis in Grade school, he went to college when he was 13, a year after Sheldon, he is wayyy smart!

His comments are awesome for you.

It takes MONTHS to learn and hang out to learn the teeny bits, you need help from an old timer like that since your rushing into it.

Last edited:
Back