• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair RM650i - Cables

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

risk_reversal

Registered
Hi, I have a Corsair RM650i and wanted to tidy up my cabling.

The cables on my RM650i have the ripple capacitors on them ie they are Type 4 which makes them really stiff at the ends (especially the PCI-E cable).

I have 2 options.

1. Get an full cable replacement kit

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/cor...YLEQ2OMiC3WvC8nRXcSR4bM3ay36Mb68aAr7KEALw_wcB

2. Get extensions to certain cables ie 24-Pin ATX, PCI-E

I am not sure if I need the full kit as per point 1 since most of the cables are hidden ie 12ATX/EPS, SATA so perhaps bying a couple of extensions will be the cheaper and easiest route.

If I go the extensions route, I have a question to do with the AWG of those extensions.

Corsair told me that the AWG values on my PSU are as follows

1. PCI-E -->16AWG
2. 24-pin ATX = 16/18/20AWG; depends on what each particular wire does -> 16AWG for 12V, 18AWG for minor rails, and 20AWG for sense wires

A vendor selling extensions (Sakmods) have informed me that the AWG used on their cabling was 18AWG throughout.

I know that I am probably nitpicking but I am concerned that the AWG on the extension cables especially on the PCI-E is of lower value ie cable not as thick and may possibly over heat.

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Many thansk for any info provided

Cheers

That would depend on the draw the cable is addressing. Personally I would stay away from smaller wires. I have seen more than one example of connectors frying under heavy current, the less heat the better.

Sorry late reply.

Well it would only feed a GTX660 (single 6-pin pci-e) but I take you point. I have always stayed away from extensions because of the reason you stated.

Cheers

Back