• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair vs Mushkin vs Geil vs Hyper X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

Corsair vs Mushkin vs Buffalo

I am looking to upgrade my ram when i get the money to cause now i have el cheapo generic pc2100 ram. I wanna upgrade to 2 sticks of 512 mb ram at pc3500 speed. Which one of these would be better?

Corsair XMS
Mushkin lvl 2
Geil Golden Dragon
Hyper X

I have an nforce 2 board and a tbred B CPU. Which would give me optimal performance and overclocking capabilities.

Last edited:

OcLinNoob

I'hv seen some pretty good stories with corsair 3500 platinum series, and hyperx. muskin i know they guarantee that the ram will run at its rated speed. not sure about geil though haven't heard so much about teh golden dragon. Also you can't just take my word for this you should do some research.

OP
J

JerkasaurusRex

Well i did do reaserch on it. The XMS seems very good and stable but it isnt guaranteed to run at 2-2-2-5 speed and i was gonna get it with black heatspreader anyway. Muskin looks way cool cause its pcb is black and everythign and it got the guarantee. Hyper X is ok from what i see and i hear it has some problems with my motherboard. The Geil dosnt seem that good to me cause it looks ugly. I just wanted to see what you guys would reccomend cause i dotn know which ones to buy.

BigBosun

Registered
Don't get the GEIL. Even though i had heard some bad things about their rAm, I thought i'd give it a try since it was less money. big mistake, im rma'ing since it didnt work, period.. nothing. its pretty frustrating since it was the only thing wrong with my new rig. i ordered MUSHKIN which i should have done in the 1st place. oh well live and learn. And i should have known better anyways, i speak dutch, and in dutch 'Geil' means 'Horny' . dont want horny ram. just ram that works!

gaza

i just got 2x512 of the lvl 2 mushkin black.. i am only able to get my a7n8x board up to 210 fps.. this iming is a very nice... i have never tryed the others brands you are trying... i feel if you are going to drop that much cash they are all good.. top of the line for all the companys.. now if we where talking you wanted the best cheap ram that it would not be as close.. i don't think you can go wrong with any of them.. one thing to note thogh, if you use intel.. witch you dont.. timing means nothing.. but with amd timing is a good thing but you will not be able to get that nforce2 up to any good fps till you vdd mod it.. i will be doing mine in about a week or so will let you know how it goes.. can only get 210.. but like a rock.

OP
J

JerkasaurusRex

Sounds good, another recommandation for mushkin. Seems like i will go with mushkin once i get $400. This is the last upgrade i am gonna do for 3 years so i am making it good. Anybody else have any opinions or feedback?

vk85

Registered
Ok, seems like geil is our of the game now and mushkin got a reccomendation. Anybody else have any opinions?

I've got one stick of Geil 512MB PC3200 running just fine. I'm not sure how well it overclocks as I haven't tried yet (just finished building the system yesterday) but I'll post some results later.

OP
J

JerkasaurusRex

Ok, if geil performs good i will consider it. Anybody know how Hyper X is? So far i am probably gonna go with muskin even though its gonna leave a gapping hole in my pocket.

seer33

i really wanted the mushkin level 2 pc3500, but i think 350$ for a gig of ram is a bit much, so im probably going to get the level one stuff, im sure it will follow pretty closely behind level 2 and about 90$ cheaper

grndbef

Registered
my corsair runs great

runs 5222 will not go above 402 mhz though but the timing is great

Corsair TWINX512-3200LLPT 512MB DDR400 XMS3200 Ultra Low Latency Dual-Channel Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader Retail

OP
J

JerkasaurusRex

Yeah, i tihnk i am gonna go with 2 sticks of 512 mb pc3500 XMS. Its a lot cheaper than mushkin and it preforms awesome as well. Thanks guys. I just need to find the best palce to buy em. www.outpost.com has them for $155 a stick. IS their anywere else that sells em cheaper?

wannaoc

and in dutch 'Geil' means 'Horny' . dont want horny ram. just ram that works!

That explains what happened when I tried to go to geils website by typing geil.com. LOL, Oops. Geils real website is geil.net btw. :)

I would go with the Mushkin, nothing beats a guarantee, just wait for one of those great weekend sales and the price goes way down.

grndbef

Registered
one more thing

make sure you get them matched most places call it a kit I always buy memory @(only coulld find 3700 but the price is good

http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85015-15

Corsair TWINX1024-3700PT 1GB DDR466 XMS3700 Dual-Channel Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader Retail ***(Free 2nd Day)***
Lifetime Warranty

TWINX matched memory pairs are specifically designed for motherboards using chip sets with dual memory channels. Current two-channel chip sets include the Nforce2 Ultra 400 from Nvidia and the D875 ("Canterwood") and D865 ("Springdale") from Intel. This memory kit consists of two 467MHz ultra-high-speed memory modules that have been tested together on a Canterwood based dual-channel motherboard. Relaxed latency settings allow this module to achieve extraordinarily high clock speeds for optimum performance in many system configurations. TWINX memory kits are designed to provide the ultimate in performance and stability in dual channel boards.

Last edited:
OP
J

JerkasaurusRex

Actualyl it dosnt matter if its a kit or not. As long as the 2 sticks have the same speed and size it wnt matter if they came paired or not. I just need a cheap place to buy 2 sticks of black XMS 512 mb pc3500 ram.

G|-|oST

Add another vore for the Mushkin. I have the PC-3200 Lvl. 2 stuff and it does 2-2-2 timings at 225 FSB here, right now I am testing how far I can go with 3-3-2 timings, just for fun. So far I am at 235 priming stable.

The best memory bandwidth on AMD platforms seems to come from tight timings, and this is where Mushkin is at its best. Also, if you ever have any problems with their product, their customer service is unmatched.

Highly recommended.

musk

I've got Mushkin 2x512mb PC3500 running 6,2,3,2 at 224mhz rock solid on my P4P800. This memory is awesome.

musk

Banyan

you ever think of getting any twinmos *or buffalo too*? lots of people here have nothing but good things to say about it. and it wont cost you any where near $350. :)