• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair vs Mushkin vs Geil vs Hyper X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Top Hat Theater

the 512MB modules are made with BH5 chips while the 256MB chips are made with CH5. So yes, it's quality stuff. From what I've read, the BH5 does tighter timings better than the CH5 while the CH5 runs higher FSB better.

~THT

funko

i orderd one 512 stick of buffalo 3700 and its scheduled to come in tomorrow.. i'll let you nkow how it goes

tycanadian

With the NF7-S 2.0, I had some Corsair PC3200 XMS 2-2-2 Platinum series and it was very flaky with that board, sometimes posting problems, overclocking=no, etc.

I got some Mushkin 3500 Black Level2, and it definitely can post at very high speeds with good timings (it's guaranteed at 434/2-2-2-6), however the dual pack that I bought has one bad stick in it. So I'm keeping them till my new ones come in and they're even sending me a return UPS envelope so I can get their hugely discounted rate when I ship my old RAM back to them. Awesome customer service, but admittedly unfortunate that I received a bad stick. The new stuff I'm getting will be "triple tested" according to Mushkin. Mushkin is supposed to be the best for nForce2 boards from what I hear on these forums and elsewhere.

Lithan

Disabled
wannaoc said:

That explains what happened when I tried to go to geils website by typing geil.com. LOL, Oops. Geils real website is geil.net btw. :)

*Holds onto his desk as the internet shudders when thousands of overclockers go to geil.com*

OP
J

JerkasaurusRex

So mushkin is very good and i know but i would have to drop about $400 to get it. Buffalo looks good and that half the price. If i get like a few less FSB its not a big deal if i am gonna be gettign 225 FSB with mushkin and only 220 FSB with buffalo or something.

AMD_Me

Re: my corsair runs great

grndbef said:
runs 5222 will not go above 402 mhz though but the timing is great

Corsair TWINX512-3200LLPT 512MB DDR400 XMS3200 Ultra Low Latency Dual-Channel Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader Retail

I have 2 sticks of that horrible stuff (though Pc3500) and It is the only Bh5 I have ever seen that wont do 450MHz 2.5-3-3-7 with 2.75 or 2.8v

AMD_Me

Constantinos said:
So mushkin is very good and i know but i would have to drop about $400 to get it. Buffalo looks good and that half the price. If i get like a few less FSB its not a big deal if i am gonna be gettign 225 FSB with mushkin and only 220 FSB with buffalo or something.

Buffalo, adata, Mushkin have my recommendation.

OP
J

JerkasaurusRex

So i can get about the same performance with 1 gig buffalo pc3700 as 1 gig muskin pc3500? I am tight on money but this is my last upgrade for 3 yrs so i want it to last me for a while. Thats why i wanna overclock but $400 is a bit much but if i must i will buy it in a few month when i gather up enough money. If i can get abotu same results with buffalo which is half the price i will go with that.

Top Hat Theater

They use the same chips. The only difference is PCB quality and heatspreaders. The Buffalo sticks do not have heatspreaders while the Mushkin sticks do. Some people swear by heatspreaders, others say they don't do anything.

~THT

OP
J

JerkasaurusRex

I could always buy 2 heatspreads for like $10 each. Heatspreader isnt a big deal. I am not gonna pay and extra $200 for a heatspreader. What is the diffrence between the PCB? I know muskin uses some black pcb but would the color really matter?

Banyan

i think i would go buffalo w/bh5's... can't beat the price. been hearing a lot of negative things as of late regarding twinmos.

wannaoc

The main thnig to remember about buying Mushkin is they can be returned if they don't do 222 at 433 (pc3500) or 222 at 400 (pc3200). Are you willing to take a chance with buffalo and hope you get some that overclocks or get some Mushkin that if it doesn't o/c you can return it? You get what you pay for with computer parts and RAM isnt something to go cheap on imo.

Dirty_Punk

240mhz DC 2-2-3-7 (can do also 2-2-3-5) on NF7-S stable at 3.15v
2*Kngston HyperX PC3500, one with CH5 chips and one with Kingston 4.5ns chips

also corsair is very good, but never tryed them

shiltz

I have 2X Geil Golden Dragon 512mb PC3500 in my computer and they work fines for me, haven't OCed at all yet though, waiting for my new case and watercooling setup before I do. From the reviews I read they were a little worse than others OCing single channel but were much better OCing when running dual channel.

OP
J

JerkasaurusRex

I think i am gonna go with buffalo. I dont think i am willing to spend $400 on ram that i could only get a few extra mhz out of when i can spend half the money and get almost the same results. Most of the buffloes do overclock well. As in all companys there area few bad sticks in a batch. Thanks for all your help guys.