• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could my New RAM be causing my System to Crash?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

garrett27

Registered
I just got new ram and i think it might be causing my system to crash. When i play css and i minimize the window and bring it up again or after long periods of game play the system decides to restart. here is the ram i got

OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

If you look at the reviews for this product (which i did not as this was recommended by another member) they say similar things. is this my problem? Is there anyway to verify that it is the RAM that is causing the crash?

Opinions?
Comments?

Thanks
Garrett

Do you have the voltages set and the timings?Or did you let the board set them?If so i would manually set the voltages and timings.Its also possible your board is undervolting your ram.Try adding a little extra voltage if its still not stable.Ive had just .02 volts make my system stable when it wasnt before

how do you go about setting these voltages and timimgs? or even checking what they are at now? through bios? Im a real noob at this stuff.....

Frist off what mobo do you have ?You should make a Sig like mine so we can see your system .This way we can give you better advice.

But anyway to get into your bios tap the delete button on you KB when its booting up this should bring you into your bios.

Then once inside the bios look for something like advance setting or something like that .Voltages and timmings should be in there

ok ill do the sig now and ill check the bios in a little thanks for the help with everything so far man

Do you have the voltages set and the timings?Or did you let the board set them?If so i would manually set the voltages and timings.Its also possible your board is undervolting your ram.Try adding a little extra voltage if its still not stable.Ive had just .02 volts make my system stable when it wasnt before

ok the sig should be up

Just to add to what gigabit already suggested... post pic's of CPU-Z open to both the Memory and SPD tabs. Also manually adjust the DRAM voltage to 1.55 - 1.6V and the four primary timings to 7-7-7-16. The DRAM voltage option is called Memory Over Voltage, and the DRAM timings option is called DRAM Timing/Driving Configuration... both under the Advanced menu--> JumperFree configuration. The DRAM timings you need to manually adjust are tCL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS; adjusted to 7-7-7-16 in that order. Leave the rest of the timings on AUTO.

how do i take a screen shot of the bios? is it just the print screen button? and where is the folder that the screen shots go? sorry again for the nubness i upped the voltage to 1.575 ill try playing some cs and see if i get the crash. the other timings were actually set already at 7-7-7-16 when it was on auto. should i go in a manually do it anyway?

Last edited:
flip42789

flip42789

theses are the pics i got are they what you needed? i didnt know where the spd tab was but im pretty sure i got the memory one. i manually did the timings again ill hop on the game and see if i get the same crash. thanks again for the help guys

http://s735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/flip42789/

ok it wont let me post pics? anyway i played alot yesterday with no crashes or errors. but my brother told me something about having to set my ram so it runs in dual channel, is this something i need to set it at to get maximum performance? Because i havent set anything i ust plugged these bad boys in.

In order to run your RAM in a dual channel configuration, the two sticks need to be installed to either DIMM_0 and DIMM_2 or DIMM_1 and DIMM_3 (the first red slot and the first black slot, or the second red slot and the second black slot)... DIMM_0 being the slot closest to the CPU socket. And in order to post the pic's, you just need to paste the tags from Photobucket in your post...

[IMG]http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/flip42789/1204091615.jpg
1204091616.jpg

Ok well ill move the ram over to the correct slots. were those the pics you needed?

No, I asked to see pic's of CPU-Z open to the Memory and SPD tabs. But as long as your system is running stable, there's not any need to post them. And whenever you suspect your RAM as being the cause of instability, or after making any RAM related BIOS changes, make sure to run Memtest86+ prior to attempting to boot into Wndows.

ok cool yea i moved the ram to dual channel and everything booted up fine. ill download that memtest86+ so i have it in case i need it one day. thanks for all your help man if i run into any problems ill post, but for the time being everything looks great.

To be in dual channel you have to make sure your ram isa in the right slots.Check your manual to see which ones.Usally they will have two of the same colors put one in each slot of the same color that should put you in dual channel.Also CPUZ will tell you if your in DC.Im in triple channel because i have a X58 mobo.

Attachments

• triple.jpg
    triple.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 276
ok i moved the ram over like you said and i downloaded cpu z but it says im only running single channel? should i move them back?

Yeah try the other slots mess around til you find the right combo of slots.Buts either the same color slots or each one in a differnt color slot.It depends on the mobo

Last edited:
ok ill play around with it in the am ill keep you guys posted hopefully ill get this thing running dual.....

In your manual it says to use the black slots for better overclocking and dual channel.Put your ram in the black slots then check cpuz if it still says single channels you have a problem

Back