• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could this work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

germanjulian

after reading this
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17107

I found out that Operon mobos do come now with PCI-X slots.

does that mean you could have a quad based operon board with dual PCI-X SLI graphics and over 20GB or ram?? :attn:

I am serious! would that work for gaming?

kinda crazy but hey this is overclockers.com

if I win the lottery I would do this.

JCLW

There are not many PCI-X graphics cards around, and to my knowledge none that do SLI.

I believe you mean PCI-E, or PEG (PCI-Express Graphics), which is very different then PCI-X. PCI-X is a 64bit/66mhz+ extention of the current parallel 32bit/33mhz PCI bus that has been around for over five years. PCI-E is a new high speed serial bus that is totally different.

R0CK3TM4NN

germanjulian said:
yep I meant PCI-E not X lol... oh well

Well, currently, the nVidia 6800 Ultra can SLI assuming it is in Alienwares proprietary ALX motherboard. Although I thought AMD and Intel said future 3rd party motherboards will be able to support this feature. The interesting thing with PCI-E Graphics and SLI is that the card doesn't necessarily have to "support" SLI (Like the Voodoo 2's, back in the day). You can use any two PCI-E graphics cards and it will work.

Now the big question being, what games are going to use the dual/quad processors? Not a whole lot of developers software use dual procs, nonetheless games. IMO, dual graphics cards will be a very intersting feature. Perhaps nVidia or ATI will make chips designed for SLI, possibly stressing efficiency over raw power, now that the work is spread between two processors.

JCLW

ATi's chip's have always supported multiple chip processing (256 way I believe for most cores) so it's nothing new to either manufacturer. The most I've seen was 64x GPU system in a high end rendering system.